The College of Arts and Humanities will continue to enhance and promote its excellent reputation as a recognized regional leader in providing exceptional educational and cultural programs in the arts and humanities that enrich and inspire the lives of the diverse students and communities we serve.
The mission of the College of Arts and Humanities is to provide the highest-quality academic, artistic, and cultural programs that meet and exceed the expectations of the diverse students and community members we serve, while continuously striving to educate and graduate global citizen-leaders who possess and apply the knowledge and skills necessary in achieving successful lives and rewarding careers.
Our Motto: Learn. Do. Create. Live the life expressive.
Our Core Values:
The UW-Parkside College of Arts and Humanities values and strives to achieve:
- Academic excellence
- Focus on the liberal arts
- Artistic opportunity
- Cultural enrichment
- Creativity and expression
- Diversity and inclusivity
- Accessibility and opportunity
- Community engagement
- Innovation and technology
- Economic vitality and sustainability
Key Learning Outcomes of our Graduates:
Our innovative 21st century interdisciplinary degrees in the arts and humanities, rooted in the liberal arts tradition, prepare our graduates to:
- Apply knowledge and skills
- Think imaginatively
- Creatively express themselves
- Communicate effectively
- Solve real-world problems
- Collaborate in a diverse society
- Become engaged leaders
- Succeed as global citizens
- Realize fulfilling personal lives
- Achieve rewarding careers
Our Commitment to Student and Graduate Success . . .
The faculty and staff of the College of Arts and Humanities are committed to providing:
- exceptional faculty and staff focused on student success and academic excellence within the context of the teacher/scholar model and the continuous assessment of shared learning goals.
- collaborative student and faculty research projects, creative endeavors, and service activities that lead to student discovery, learning, success, and degree completion.
- abundant access to faculty, staff, and advisors who are committed to creating a welcoming and positive environment that values and fosters diversity and inclusivity.
- active engagement with students in professional internships, apprenticeships, and community-based learning projects.
- personalized, career-focused programs and learning opportunities that effectively prepare students for fulfilling personal and professional lives.
Strategic Directions of the College of Arts and Humanities
The College of Arts and Humanities supports and actively contributes to the achievement of UW-Parkside's current core strategic directions. As a College, we strive to actively assist the University in achieving the following goals:
- An integrated approach to student success focused on setting clear expectations and articulating measurable standards for excellence beginning with the first year and continuing until graduation;
- A strategic, data driven approach to enrollment that utilizes intentional strategies and tactics to achieve optimal enrollment through progressive recruitment, matriculation, and retention efforts;
- A rigorous academic experience marked by high quality teaching, research and creative activities that prepare students to become responsible and engaged local and global citizens;
- Inclusivity and diversity that permeates all policies, procedures, programs, services, decisions and student, faculty and staff experiences;
- A vibrant campus culture and climate that is a welcoming environment for learning, reflective of our core values and high standards of collegiality and service to others both internally and externally;
- Community engagement that is nationally recognized as a hallmark of distinction for UW-Parkside embedded in an institutional commitment fostering civic-minded students, alumni, staff and faculty who provide scholarship, leadership, resources and services to the local and global community;
The College of Arts and Humanities is also guided by following strategic directions, which will further inform and inspire our educational and cultural programs and endeavors. As a College, we will strive to:
- Increase enrollment in our highly-regarded arts and humanities programs to be achieved through progressive recruitment, retention, and scholarship programs and initiatives.
- Demonstrate and articulate the vital central role that a liberal arts education and engagement in the arts and humanities disciplines serve in providing valuable opportunities for diverse learners to master key critical learning outcomes that are necessary in preparing our 21st century graduates for successful lives and careers, including:
- Reasoned judgment
- Personal and social responsibility
- Develop innovative programs and progressive alternative delivery options in the arts and humanities that meet the ever-changing learning expectations and career goals of our students and their current and future employers.
- Create and foster an interdisciplinary synergy among all arts and humanities disciplines, resulting in high quality academic programs and culturally-enriching performances, presentations, and exhibitions that explore and express the complexity of the human condition.
- Increase commitment and support for our proven teacher/scholar model that effectively connects our outstanding faculty and students though collaborative research and creative activities to the global creative and intellectual communities.
- Secure sustainable funding from a variety of sources (internal and external) to provide the financial and human resources necessary to sustain and enhance the college's curricular, co-curricular, and cultural programs necessary for achieving our strategic goals.
- Integrate strategic planning initiatives that continue to focus on the vision, mission, and strategic directions of the College of Arts and Humanities and serve as our foundation and compass in guiding all current and future educational and cultural endeavors.