Credit For Experiential Learning
CEL Policies | CEL Procedures | The Portfolio | CEL Home
CREDIT FOR EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING (CEL) PROCEDURES
Approved by University of Wisconsin-Parkside (insert)
The CEL Advisor will coordinate the CEL process, as follows.
- The CEL Advisor is responsible for developing, disseminating, and ensuring the accuracy of CEL publications.
- The CEL Advisor meets with students to determine if their learning experiences are the type that may qualify for credit, and to review the CEL Handbook. During this discussion the CEL Advisor informs the student of all relevant CEL Policies and Procedures. The CEL Advisor may recommend that the student contact an appropriate faculty member to discuss and determine if the learning experiences are the type that may qualify for credit. The CEL Advisor may also recommend other avenues for earning credit (e.g., CLEP or Challenge examinations). [policy #1]
- Students requesting CEL submit their portfolios to the CEL Advisor. [policy #7]
- The CEL Advisor collects and deposits the initial assessment fee at the time the student submits the Portfolio. [policy #2]
- The CEL Advisor reviews the Portfolio to ensure that an academic petition has been completed for each credit request. [policy #3, policy #5]
- The CEL Advisor reviews the student's transcript and file to ensure that (a) the student's submission, if in addition to a previous request, differs from any previous request(s) [policy #7], and (b) the student is enrolled for not less than three credits of academic work during the semester that her/his portfolio is submitted. [policy #9]
- The CEL Advisor identifies and transmits the Portfolio and CEL Handbook to the appropriate interdisciplinary or disciplinary unit chairperson(s), who identifies which faculty member(s) should evaluate the Portfolio.
- The CEL Advisor retrieves the Portfolio after the appropriate faculty member(s) and interdisciplinary or disciplinary unit chairperson(s) have signed the petition(s) for CEL. [policy #8]
- The CEL Advisor ensures that the credits granted do not exceed those of the equivalent UW-Parkside course. [policy #6]
- The CEL Advisor reviews the student's transcript to ensure that (a) the student is matriculated at UW-Parkside and enrolled for not less than three credits of academic work when the credits are to be entered on their transcript [policy #9], and (b) the student has successfully completed one term, defined as twelve credits with a "C" grade point average (i.e., 2.0 grade point average) or higher in any UW-Parkside program. [policy #10]
- The CEL Advisor informs the student in writing of the decision(s) made by the evaluating interdisciplinary or disciplinary unit chairperson(s) and faculty member(s). In the same correspondence, the CEL Advisor requests the appropriate transcripting fee. [policy #2]
- The CEL Advisor collects and deposits the appropriate transcripting fee. [policy #2]
- The CEL Advisor informs the Registrar's Office in writing of the information to be placed on the student's transcript.
- Copies of the student's petition and a 250-word abstract of the Portfolio (sans documentation) are placed in the student's file and in the CEL.
- The CEL Advisor prepares an annual report detailing the previous academic year's CEL requests and outcomes. The report is copied to: (a) the faculty members and budgetary unit, department chairpersons involved in the previous year's evaluations; (b) the academic deans, and (c) the Provost. Included within the report is a financial section delineating the amounts deposited and their source.