The mission of the Academic Advising and Career Center is to provide a high quality student centered advising experience that promotes and empowers the educational, career and personal development of each student as they enter a diverse world.
Advising Checklist for New Students (pdf)
Academic Advising and You
We Are Partners! As a student, you play an important role in academic advising. Here are a few things that you can do to make the most of your relationship with your advisor:
- You must meet with your academic advisor prior to each registration. Make an appointment to meet with them to discuss possible courses and major/career ideas for the upcoming semester. Make an appointment early for the best availability.
- Have an idea of what courses you might be interested in before coming to see your advisor. Your advisor can help you sort out what courses you need for general education as well as help with exploration courses.
- Write down any questions you may have. This will ensure that all your questions get answered during your appointment.
- Don’t wait until your registration date! If you have concerns or issues you would like to discuss, make an appointment to see your advisor right away.
- Let your advisor know your goals!
Meeting with your Academic Advisor
It is your responsibility to monitor your academic progress and seek advising on a regular basis. Advisors can help you develop educational goals compatible with your career and life goals, assist you in completing your chosen program quickly and successfully. To make the most of your advising sessions, you need to prepare for the session by taking the following steps:
- Set up an appointment with your advisor. If you are unsure who your advisor is, you can find out by logging on to your SOLAR account. If you need assistance with this, visit the Academic Advising & Career Center, WYLL D175.
- Come to your appointment with a copy of your DARS (degree audit report). You can get a copy of your DARS on Solar starting Fall 2011 or at the Academic Advising & Career Center prior to your appointment day.
- Write down any questions or concerns about your DARS.
- Review your catalog and come with any questions about requirements.
After your appointment:
- Call 262-595-2040 or email: email@example.com with any additional questions.
- Make sure you understand the university requirements for graduation.
- Take charge of your academic progress! Advising is an important tool to help you in this adventure