What can I do with a major in...English?
Course catalog | Department website
The English major is designed to help students acquire a broad view of human experience, a critical approach to cultural traditions, and more complete self-understanding. Each English concentration offers a solid grounding in literature and communication skills. The Standard Major is especially appropriate for those planning further graduate or professional study or literary careers, and offers the opportunity to explore the traditions of British and American literature in depth. The Writing Concentration enables those who envision careers in business, industry, or public service to sharpen their communication skills in both general and specialized areas. The Language Arts Concentration focuses on the needs of education professionals, fulfilling the state of Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction requirements for teacher training; it is also appropriate for students generally interested in linguistics and language study.
What skills will I develop?
- Proficiency in comprehension, speaking, and writing
- Comprehensive understanding of grammar and vocabulary
- Ability to observe patterns in human interaction
- Ability to work constructively in small and large groups
- Ability to create and critically evaluate information
- Understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures
- Advertising Account Executive
- Congressional Aide
- Editorial Assistant
- Fiction Writer/Novelist
- Legal Researcher
- Library Assistant
- Literary Agent
- Non-fiction Writer
- Publications Coordinator
- Script Writer
- Special Events Coordinator
- Speech Writer
- Technical Writer
What can I do to find out if English is for me?
- Speak with a student majoring in English
- Take an English course
- Network with professionals working in the English field
- Conduct informational interviews
- Volunteer or work part time in an English-related position
- Write or edit for the Ranger News, a local paper, or a community newsletter
- Volunteer as an English tutor
- Join English Club
- Visit the UW-Parkside Career Center