Rubrics are an assessment tool used to evaluate an activity or item based on a predefined set of criteria. They help ensure that activities and items are evaluated fairly and consistently.
If you are using Competencies to evaluate users, we recommend you set up rubrics before you set up your competencies, learning objectives, and activities since you cannot create an activity without associating it with a rubric and you cannot assess whether a user has completed a competency or learning objective without assessing the associated activities using the rubric.
There are two types of rubrics:
- Holistic Rubrics Single criteria rubrics (one-dimensional) used to assess participants' overall achievement on an activity or item based on predefined achievement levels.
- Analytic Rubrics Two-dimensional rubrics with levels of achievement as columns and assessment criteria as rows. Allows you to assess participants' achievements based on multiple criteria using a single rubric. You can assign different weights (value) to different criteria and include an overall achievement by totaling the criteria.
Access the Rubrics tool
Do one of the following:
- Click Rubrics on the navbar.
- Click Rubrics in the Admin Tools widget, or from the Admin Tools menu on the navbar.
- Click Rubrics in the Course Administration widget.
Creating a Holistic Rubric
Creating an Analytic Rubric