Access the News tool
Do one of the following:
- Click News on the navbar.
- Click News in the header of the News widget.
- Click Edit Course on the navbar, click News from the Communication section on the Course Administration page.
Note: Global news items appear in the same My Home and Course Home pages' News widget as
course-related news items.
Creating a news item
Create a news item
- Do one of the following:
- Click New News Item button from the News widget menu.
- On the News page, click New Item.
- Enter the news headline in the Headline field.
- Enter the news content in the Content field.
- If you want to hide your headline's date and time clear Always show start date. By default, a news item's start date and time appears below its headline when displayed in the News widget.
- Select the posting availability date in the Start Date and End Date drop-down lists or by clicking their Select Date icons. News items are published immediately unless you specify an alternate start date from the Start Date drop-down list.
- You can remove a news item on a specific date by selecting the check box Remove news item based on end date. You and administrators can still see the news item after its end date, but it will not appear in the News widget.
- You can include attachments and audio recordings as part of your news item:
- To add an attachment, click Add a File in the Attachments section.
- To record audio, click the Record Audio in the Attachments section. Click Flash Settings to make adjustments to your microphone selection and volume. Click Play to listen to your recording. Click Clear to erase your recording.
- Click Attach Existing or Create and Attach to include additional release conditions.
- Click Save as Draft to continue editing the news item (students cannot see draft news items), or click Publish to release news item to users.
Inserting an Image with text
The D2L Portal & Homepage(s) have a default width of 900 px.
Depending on the desired layout of a course homepage, specific widget settings, or “rules of thumb” pertaining to width / height of an image inserted into a news item will vary. There are basically four widget sizes available, depending on the layout chosen.
Keeping in mind the 900 px max width of the homepage, estimating the width of a widget is a fairly easy thing to do. For instance, if the News Item Widget (width) occupies approximately 2/3 of total homepage width (900 px), then it is safe to assume that the widget has a width of ~600 px. Before inserting an image into a news item, a decision must be made as to how much widget real-estate the inserted image will be given, with the remaining space used for text.
See Example - Instructions
Creating a news item for a future date
If you set a news item's start date for the future, the posting is not visible to users until that date.
Example: If you want a news item to appear on Monday morning, specify a start date of Monday at 9:00am.
Note Post-dated news items are not displayed in the News widget even if users have permission to see future news items. They can be found within the list of news items on the News page.