Their bodies absorb lead more easily than adults' bodies do.
Lead damages the brains while from infant to childhood, children's brain grow fast. Thus, elevated blood lead level will deteriorate their intelligence.
They put everything into their mouths. And no matter how hard you try, it is impossible to keep an eye on a toddler every minutes.
Lead-based paint has a little sweet taste, thus sometimes children were tempted by the taste.
There are usually no symptoms of lead poisoning.
Is my child at risk for lead poisoning? (ages 1 to 6)
If the answer is yes to one or more question your child may be at risk
Does your child now live in or visit (e.g. day care, home of friends, grandparents or other relatives) a house or building built before l950?
Does your child now live in or visit (e.g. day care, home of friends, grandparents or other relatives a house built before l978*? with recent or ongoing renovations? Have they ever in the past?
Does your child have a brother, sister or playmate who has/had lead poisoning?
Is your child enrolled in (or eligible for) Medicaid, HealthCheck or WIC?
*Buildings older than 1950 are much more likely to contain lead-based paint. Even if it is not disturbed by renovation or remodeling, it can be a hazard. Federal law required that lead be removed from paint in l978.
Where can I get more information?
Follow the links on the left side of the page.