Faculty/Staff Professional Opportunities Fund
Guidelines for the Fiscal Year 2013-2014
The Faculty/Academic Staff Professional Opportunities Fund (FASPOF) supports faculty and academic staff professional development and research. UW-System Administration annually transfers funds to each UW-System institution for this fund, with the expectation that other campus resources also will be allocated to support this purpose.
All faculty and academic staff who are employed 50% of full time or more are eligible to apply for funding from FASPOF.
The FASPOF Committee meets regularly during the academic year until all funds have been expended. Dates for each semester's meeting are posted by e-mail to both the Governance and Staff mail boxes. Applicants must submit their proposals a week in advance of the Committee's scheduled meeting to assure the Committee members have sufficient time to review applications before the meeting. Digital submissions are welcome.
The Fund supports activities that advance the mission/objectives and implement the strategies of the applicant's department/unit and the university as a whole, while also bringing professional benefits to the applicant. The relationship of the proposed activity to these objectives is a critical aspect for the Committee in its review of proposals. Activities eligible for funding include (but are not limited to) disseminating academic work through professional forums such as presentation, performance, juried show, and/or presenting papers at scholarly meetings, continuing education, training, updating of academic knowledge or skills, attending conferences and workshops. The committee places the highest priority on proposals that promise significant professional development outcomes. In the consideration of proposals the committee will make an effort to assure there is a representative distribution of awards among faculty, academic staff, and proposals that support Inclusive Excellence.
Proposals MUST also have the support of the applicant’s department/unit. Evidence of departmental/unit support must include:
- a statement of support from the department chair or unit supervisor as to the appropriateness and importance of the proposal in terms of the mission/objectives of the department/unit and also the professional development of the applicant (NOTE: if the applicant is a department chair or unit supervisor, the letter of support should come from the next reporting level).
– and –
- internal department/unit funds that will aid, supplement, or enhance the proposal's funding, or an explanation as to why no funding assistance is being provided.
- identification of available start-up funds, if applicable, and how they may be used to support the proposal.
- The FASPOF Committee will only consider proposals for future activities. It does not consider funding requests for activities that already have taken place. The exception is during the summer months when proposals may be submitted starting July, 1 for events after that date and will be reviewed at the first FASPOF meeting in the fall.
- In general, the maximum amount of funding that can be requested by an individual faculty/academic staff member will be limited to $1,000. FASPOF awards are competitive and are not guaranteed. Depending on their review of the proposal, the Committee may authorize a different (lesser) amount of funding than that requested by the applicant.
- FASPOF requires a minimum 30% match, which may take the form of department, personal, or other internal and external funding sources. Applicants are encouraged to seek additional sources of funding for projects and activities, such as start-up funds.
- All applicants are required to complete a Professional Development Budget Form (MS Word document) available, with accompanying instructions, on the governance website at:
If questions arise, please consult with Tina Radley in the Business Services office.
- All applicants are required to complete an Out of State Pre-Approval Form available at: http://www.uwp.edu/departments/business.services/forms.cfm
- In order to allow for more accurate tracking of remaining funds available for allocation, all paperwork, receipts, travel expense reports, etc. MUST be submitted for processing within 2 months of the end date of the project or activity.
- A brief, final report outlining the project or activity and its benefit to the applicant, his/her department/unit, and the university as a whole is required of all grant recipients. Reports should be submitted to the FASPOF Committee Chair within 2 months of the end date of the project or activity.
GUIDELINES FOR WRITING PROPOSALS
To be eligible, all proposals must follow the guidelines stated in this document and provide the information requested. Six copies of the proposal and support letters must be sent to the Chair of the FASPOF Committee. Digital submissions are welcome but must have all documentation included in one pdf file which is e-mailed to the FASPOF chair.
- The FASPOF application form (available on the UWP Web) must be used. Applicants must describe the project or activity for which they are requesting funding. They must indicate both its potential for advancing the mission/objectives and implementation of the strategies of the department/unit and the university as a whole, as well as its benefits for their personal professional development.
- Proposals must include a budget indicating a minimum match of 30% and the source(s) of the matching funds. If assistance is needed developing the budget please consult with Tina Radley in the Business Services Office
- A statement of support from the department chair or unit supervisor must be attached to the proposal. If the applicant is a department chair or unit supervisor, then a letter of support should be secured from the next reporting level.
- Supporting materials and documentation that justify your proposal and expense requests are required. Examples of such materials include a description of the program/conference, the program/conference agenda, and verification of requested expenses (e.g., documented registration, lodging, and airfare costs, etc.).
- Please complete an Out of State Travel Form and include that with your FASPOF Application. The link can be found here http://www.uwp.edu/departments/business.services/forms.cfm under Travel.
If you have any questions about completing or submitting your proposal, feel free to contact any of the FASPOF Committee members for assistance.
Click here for the FASPOF Application Form (MSWord document)