Incomplete (I) - A grade of Incomplete is assigned at the discretion of the instructor, guided by the following policies:
1. A grade of "I" may be reported for a student who has maintained a passing grade in a course until near the end of the course and who then, because of unusual and substantiated cause beyond the student's control, is unable to take or complete the final examination, or to complete some limited amount of coursework. The grade of "I" must be accompanied by the instructor's description of the coursework that has yet to be completed.
2. Normally a request for an incomplete must be made by the student to the instructor prior to the final examination. However, an Incomplete may be initiated by an instructor on a student's behalf if the instructor believes there is cause to do so.
3. The amount of time a student has to complete the work and remove the grade of "I" shall be at the discretion of the instructor. Normally that time period shall not extend beyond the last day of classes of the following semester. Summer school is not counted as a semester for purposes of removing the grade of "I."
4. If the "I" is not removed within the specified time, the Incomplete will lapse to an "F" at the end of the semester following the term in which the "I" was assigned.
5. A request to change an already recorded grade to a grade of "I" will not be carried out unless the instructor files a Request for an Incomplete.
6. A student may not graduate with an incomplete on his/her transcript if failure in that course would make the student ineligible to graduate.