Committee Members : Anne Gurnack, Chair, JoAnn Goodyear,Peggy James,
Sylvia Beyer, Dana Oswald, Annette Wiesner, Pamela Handrow, Trudy Biehn,
and Jamie Cheatham.
During the year 2007-2008, the committee met five times and activities focused on:
1. A review of the university wide advising task force report which called
for concern, especially on filling the vacant positions in the advising center.
Many committee members served on these search committees during the
2. The committee met with Interim Provost Gerald Greenfield who discussed
the future role of the advising center as one which would include
both advising and career development functions. A new Director of Advising
and Career Development was hired, i.e. Susan Hawkins-Wilding.
3. The group continued the review of the advising task force report. The
following priorities were suggested by the group as a list that could be helpful to the new director:
* More advising information should be sent electronically and note screens added.
* Staffing issues should continue to be resolved.
* Academic skills classes should be completed at the end of 60 credits.
* Faculty should receive training about advising in academic skills
and general education courses.
* Students should be able to access the DARS reports.
* There should be more emphasis on advising during Freshman
4. The committee reviewed all the nominations for the Advising Award and
selected Damian Evans as the 2008 recipient. It was suggested that a list
of all nominees be kept from year to year as several names appear each year.
5. The committee expressed the desire to have continued communication with
the provost’s office in the future.
Anne M Gurnack