Dean of the College of Social Sciences & Professional Studies
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Position Location: Southeastern, WI
Reporting Relationship: Provost
The College of Social Sciences & Professional Studies is one of four colleges formed following an academic reorganization and fully supported by the university faculty and leadership, the University of Wisconsin System Administration and Board of Regents. The dean will oversee the establishment of the College of Social Sciences & Professional Studies as it continues to build on exceptional strengths of accomplished faculty and students. The college offers baccalaureate degrees in criminal justice, geography, history, international studies, political science & law, philosophy, and sociology. The Dean of the College of Social Sciences & Professional Studies reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and will be a key member of the Provost’s leadership team. The College of Social Sciences & Professional Studies will also house the Institute for Professional Educator Development, and the newly approved professional Educator Development Program, a collaboratively designed, regionally responsive model of educator development for the 21st century.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is committed to academic excellence, student success, diversity and inclusiveness, and community engagement. UW-Parkside grants bachelor's and master's degrees in more than 30 academic programs and currently enrolls 5,200 students, many of whom are first-generation and nontraditional. UW-Parkside is the most ethnically diverse campus in the University of Wisconsin System with more than 22% students of color and 19% faculty and instructional staff of color. UW-Parkside benefits from the cultural diversity of the communities that it serves in southeast Wisconsin. Located in northern Kenosha County in the Chicago-Milwaukee urban corridor, much of the university’s 700-acre campus has been preserved in its natural wooded and prairie state.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The dean will be responsible for leading the college in implementing the university’s academic plan and will play a key role in the strategic enrollment management goals of the university.
- The dean will lead the college in the recruitment, retention and graduation of students who are well-prepared for success in graduate school or professional careers.
- The dean will develop and support program and student assessment that is data driven and supports the academic endeavors of the college.
- She/he will be responsible for the efficient and effective administrative and fiscal management of the College, working in a context of integrated budgeting and planning and evidence-based decision-making.
- The dean will be responsible for recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse and outstanding faculty, providing appropriate support for faculty to achieve their professional development goals as teacher scholars.
- Working within a framework of shared governance, the dean must have the imagination, initiative, and commitment to pursue new opportunities for the College, including the development of new undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- The dean must be committed to advancing the goals and objectives of both the College and the University and fostering collaborations across the campus.
- The dean must have a demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary teaching and learning, with clear a vision for integrating the social sciences with other disciplines across campus by fostering and rewarding collaborations in teaching, learning, research, scholarship and creative activity.
- The dean must be able to articulate to campus and external constituents the enduring value of the social sciences & professional studies.
- She/he must be able to advocate for the needs and advance the goals of the college while working collaboratively with other leaders across campus.
- She/he will be responsible for effectively representing the College to the campus, external communities, and alumni, and will provide leadership in the pursuit of external resources to support the goals of the college.
- Responsibility for working with internal and external constituents to successfully encourage the procurement of grants.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of and commitment to the mission of a regional state institution as student-centered and engaged in the communities that we serve such as first-generation and underrepresented minority students.
- Excellent skills and aptitude in the following areas: leadership, decision making, project management, innovation, team building and diplomacy.
- Commitment to the fundamental values of the professoriate—academic freedom, peer review and shared governance.
- Ability to promote the best interest of the College and to ensure that the goals of the College are aligned with and supportive of UW-Parkside goals and objectives.
- Ability to work within a strongly collaborative administrative model.
- Commitment to internationalizing the curriculum, through multiple strategies including increasing study abroad opportunities for students, and providing opportunities for international faculty exchanges.
- Demonstrated commitment to prepare high quality educators who have an ability to succeed in any setting.
- Ability to provide strong campus leadership for a new professional educator development program.
- Appreciation for, and experience with, high impact pedagogies such as community-based learning, internships, undergraduate research and study abroad.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural communication skills.
Education, Experience, Training and/or Certifications
- Ph.D. in one of the disciplines represented within the college
- Academic qualifications sufficient for tenure and rank of professor in department within the college
- Minimum of five years of successful academic administrative experience which includes roles such as department chair, program director, assistant or associate dean, governance appointments
- Experience managing complex budgets
- Demonstrated success in receiving external funding from government, foundation, corporate or private entities
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, research, and creative activity
- Experience working with, and a demonstrated commitment to serving, students from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and levels of preparation
- Demonstrated experience providing leadership in positions of increasing responsibilities
- Demonstrated commitment to internationalization
Application Deadline: Applications submitted by end of day November 10th, 2012 will have full consideration; position is open until filled.
Interested candidates should email the following to: email@example.com
- a cover letter outlining their qualifications for the position
- resume or c.v.
- 5 professional letters of reference
Note: names and phone numbers of 3 references will be asked of the final candidates
Mail submissions attention: Julie Lee, Search Committee – Dean of Social Sciences and Professional Studies, University of Wisconsin-Parkside, 900 Wood Road, Kenosha, WI 53141.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer