Applying for a UW-Parkside Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant
Study Abroad Grants, funded by the state of Wisconsin and awarded by the Global Education Office (GEO)-Study Abroad, are awarded to students who have been enrolled in a course of study the semester prior to studying abroad; open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Freshmen may begin to plan for their study abroad experience by visiting the Global Education Office-Study Abroad and may participate in a Winterim/Summer/Semester program after being enrolled and after having completed one semester. It is advisable that Seniors apply for programs prior to the last semester of graduation.
- To be eligible for a Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant, a student must apply to an established/approved study abroad program which includes: 1) UW-Parkside programs; 2) UW-System programs; 3) Third Party Provider programs; and 4) other accredited programs approved by the Global Education Office-Study Abroad. Students enrolled in a Master’s program or enrolled for a 2nd program of study are not eligible for Wisconsin Study Abroad Grants. However, students may be eligible for loans and other scholarships.
- For financial aid purposes, students planning to participate in summer study abroad programs are required to carry at least 6 credits. For semester programs, the student should carry at least 12 credit hours. Winterim programs will usually be 3 credit hours.
- For all programs, academic requirements will be reviewed to ensure credits earned at the host university will apply toward the student's major, minor or general coursework.
- Students must have a current GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Programs considered “Non-UW-Parkside or non-UW System Study Abroad Programs," and not appearing on this web site, will be thoroughly reviewed by GEO-Study Abroad to ensure that grant and program criteria guidelines have been met.
- GEO-Study Abroad will award Wisconsin Study Abroad Grants to programs offered for credit only.
- Independent study credit does not qualify for travel grant consideration.
*See Study Abroad Grant Application- under Forms
To Apply :
- File FAFSA-Financial Aid Application for the appropriate academic year. Summer session begins the academic year. A paper copy of this form can be picked up from the Financial Aid office or may be completed on- line. http://www.uwp.edu/departments/financial.aid/
- Meet with a Study Abroad Advisor (GEO-Study Abroad) to complete the Study Abroad Grant Eligibility Application. Schedule a meeting by contacting us at (262) 595-2701.
- Once eligible for the Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant, write an essay (400 words) summarizing why you would like to receive the grant and how the study abroad experience will impact your academic, professional and personal life.
- Provide 2 recommendations (faculty and non-faculty). See Forms
- Provide a DARS Report (un-official UW-Parkside document listing courses/grades/GPA of 2.5. The student can request this document at the Academic Advising/Career Center.
- Upon receipt of the above, grant applications are reviewed, and the student is notified of the results via e-mail. If an award is made, grant money is transferred to the student’s Ranger Account.
- For summer programs, please complete the summer FAFSA.
- Complete Consortium Agreement (if required by Financial Aid).
For questions related to Financial Aid and Study Abroad, please see: Mr. Blake Taylor
Tel #: (262) 595- 2195
Fax #: (262) 595-2216