“Summer Bridge helped me get to know a whole new group of friends.”
Criminal Justice Major
Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Attend Summer Bridge
- Summer Bridge helps you develop the confidence and skills necessary to succeed in college and develop other life skills.
- Summer Bridge allows you to begin your college classes in College Reading/Learning Strategies and Composition Preparation so that you will be ahead when you begin your fall semester at UW-Parkside.
- Summer Bridge helps you make friends with a diverse group of students, meet faculty, staff, advisors, participate in cultural/educational events, and find your way around the university.
- Summer Bridge is free to Wisconsin residents*.
There is no cost to students who are Wisconsin residents for the Summer Bridge program including: books, cultural/educational activities, and parking permits.
Students begin the College Reading/Learning Strategies and Composition Preparation classes in the summer and they complete the classes Fall 2012. Tuition is charged to the students for these classes in the Fall 2012.
- Summer Bridge is a Student Support Services
Summer Bridge is sponsored by Student Support Services, which is a TRIO program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The mission of the Student Support Services program is to increase retention and graduation of students who are either low-income, first-generation (neither parent has a four-year college degree), and/or are students who have a documented disability. The mission also includes fostering an institutional climate supportive of the success of these students.
- As a Summer Bridge student you are also accepted as a participant in the Student Support Services program.
- It’s easy to apply for Summer Bridge.
To indicate your interest
in Summer Bridge, please do one of the following:
- Summer Bridge is a smart investment in your future.
that students who participate in Summer Bridge programs are more likely
to be successful in college as compared to similar students who do
not attend Summer Bridge programs.
- Summer Bridge helps you make a strong connection with your Academic Advisor early in your college career.
- Summer Bridge will challenge you, and you'll have FUN!
In the program, you will develop friendships with a diverse
group of students who, like yourself, are just beginning college. You’ll
also find your way around the university and participate in cultural/educational
What our students say about Summer Bridge...
“By being in Student Support
Services I have been able to meet
many new people, and making
friends is a good way to do well
“Summer Bridge definitely helped me. There was a clear difference
between students who participated in Summer Bridge and those that
just began college in the fall. Students in Summer Bridge were
more on task, knew more of what to expect from college, and had
already earned college credit.”
“Summer Bridge helped me understand how to work with new
professors. The staff assisted me in working through my disability
by helping with my reading comprehension.”
“Summer Bridge helped me learn what it takes to be successful
“Summer Bridge helped me get to know a whole
new group of friends.”