2014 Program Entry Auditions
Interview & Audition Information
Any student wishing to enroll as a Theatre Arts major at UW-Parkside must interview and/or audition with members of the theatre faculty prior to admission to the program. Prospective theatre arts majors will not be officially accepted into the department until this important on-campus interview process is completed.
The interview/audition process offers the prospective student the opportunity to visit the campus, meet theatre students and faculty, attend free productions, qualify for talent scholarships, and share important details about past experience and future goals and expectations. The interview/audition process also provides the theatre faculty with an opportunity to better know each prospective student’s theatrical experience and talents, educational goals, and career expectations.
Please note that our company is “capped” at 65 total majors, including actors, designers, stage managers, and technicians. Like any professional theatre, we strive to balance the skills, talents, and gifts of our company members. This is a major factor of consideration in the program entry audition selection process. Some talented individuals may be denied acceptance into the program.
Program Entry Interview/Audition Requirements:
Every prospective theatre arts major must prepare the following materials as a part of the interview/audition process:
- Get accepted to UW-Parkside! We cannot audition or interview prospective students who have not been fully accepted to UW-Parkside prior to the audition. Proof of acceptance to UW- Parkside is required prior to scheduling a program entry audition/interview.
- Proven Prior Academic Success: All prospective theatre arts applicants must meet at least two the following requirements:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 (from high school or other colleges)
- A composite ACT score of at least 21
- Be in the upper 50% of their graduating class (for high school students).
- Schedule a private program entry interview and/or audition with the Theatre Arts
Department on the scheduled dates (see below). Please contact the Director of Theatre Arts Admissions Jamie Cheatham, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 262.595.2522 or send an audition request online.
- Required materials: At the time of the scheduled interview/audition, the prospective student MUST present the following audition materials to the Theatre Arts faculty and staff:
- An official Letter of Acceptance to UW-Parkside.
- A detailed theatre experience resume listing all previous theatre experiences and activities, on stage and off stage.
- A one page personal essay explaining your reason for choosing theatre arts as a college major and your ultimate career goals and objectives.
- Current transcript(s) of grades going back 4 years.
- Two letters of recommendation from current or former theatre teachers and directors or from other educators who can comment on your work, spirit, and talents.
- A recent headshot; senior photos and candid snapshots are acceptable.
- Presentation of Personal Talents
- Students wishing to become actors, directors, or theatre teachers are asked to prepare and present TWO memorized, contrasting 1-minute monologues that best show their range of talent. You may also present a one minute musical selection, however you must provide your own recorded accompaniment on CD or dock.
- Students wishing to become designers, technicians, or stage managers are asked to present a production portfolio/scrapbook that contains examples of previous theatrical or artistic projects.
2013-14 Program Entry Interview/Audition Dates:
- November 8, 2013 – CAH Visit Day, 8:15 am – 2 pm
Not an audition dates, but a great day to visit and learn about all the programs that comprise the College of Arts and Humanities (CAH), including tours, discussions and lunch!
- December 6, 2013 – Theatre Arts Visit Day, 8:30 am – 1 pm
Tours, talks, and a free matinee of The Arabian Nights. Contact Jamie Cheatham at email@example.com to sign up.
- March 15, 2014 – CAH Scholarship Day, Times TBD
Audition for our program and 'compete' for newly endowed scholarships in one day. Scholarships to be awarded that same day!
- Saturday, May 3, 2014 – 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
Jamie Cheatham, UW-Parkside Director of Theatre Arts Admissions
900 Wood Road, Box 2000
Kenosha, WI 53141
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org FAX: 262.595.2271
For FREE TICKETS to any UW-Parkside Theatre Arts Department production, please contact Jamie Cheatham at the above address. We will be happy to provide complimentary tickets to you and your parents (3 free tickets max). Reservations are required and free tickets are subject to availability since our shows tend to SELL OUT early.