Mental Health Emergency
Overtly threatening behavior that you feel poses an immediate threat to yourself or others should be reported immediately to the UW-Parkside Police at 262-595-2911.
For non-emergency situations, refer students to the Student Health and Counseling Center at 262-595-2366; refer faculty and staff to the Employee Assistance Program at 262-595-2204 or 800-742-2858 (this is a toll-free call).
If you feel an individual is suffering from extreme stress or is highly agitated, take the following steps:
- Express your concerns directly to the individual
- Make your referral in the presence of the individual and offer to accompany them
- Watch for changes in behavior:
- significant changes in academic or work performance;
- changes in hygiene, speech, attentiveness, or social interaction;
- excessive drinking or drug use;
- severe loss of emotional control;
- high levels of irritability;
- impaired speech or garbled/disjointed thoughts;
- excessively morbid, violent, or depressing themes in written assignments;
- verbal expression of suicidal or violent thoughts.