Common Core Standards Training offered Aug. 21, 22
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside hosts Common Core Standards Training Aug. 21 and 22, on the campus at 900 Wood Rd. in Kenosha. Presented by the Leadership and Learning Center, the professional development and consulting services division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, training sessions are offered in English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics standards.
Wisconsin has adopted the Common Core State Standards for curriculum, instruction, and assessment. These standards are aligned with college and career expectations and ensure academic consistency in Wisconsin and other states. The Common Core State Standards two-day training for English Language Arts consists of the following modules:
- Understanding the Structure of ELA Common Core
- Understanding the Reading Standards
- Understanding the Writing Standards
- Understanding the Speaking and Listening Standards
- Understanding the Language Standards
- Implications for Assessment and Instruction, and
- Rigor, Range, Relationships: Connecting the Standards, and Aligning Standards, Assessment, and Instruction
The 2-day mathematics training includes the following modules:
- Structure of the Mathematics Common Core
- The K-8 Learning Progressions
- Standards for Mathematical Practice
- High School Model Pathways
- Growth Mindset, Focus, and Coherence
- Standards for Mathematical Practice, and
- Aligning Standards, Assessment, and Instruction
Cebelak has worked with elementary and secondary teachers, support staff, principals and curriculum directors. As a literacy coach in her former district, she became a certified trainer in Engaging Classroom Assessments, Common Formative Assessments, and Data-DrivenResults/Data Teams. Cebelak implemented effective instructional strategies by providing professional development and modeling lessons in teachers' classrooms.
Law presents instruction in Decision Making for Results, Data Teams, Case Studies for the 90/90/90 Schools Summit, and Accelerating Academic Achievement of English Learners. She has served as curriculum coordinator for English Language Learners, Cultural Responsiveness, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID), Mathematics, and Science in the Metropolitan School District of Wayne Township in Indianapolis, Ind. Law has written curriculum in science, math, and English language development, training and supporting administrators, teacher leaders, site coordinators, and school improvement teams in the Decision Making for Results and Data Team processes.
Cost of Common Core Standards Training is $275 per person. Credit is available for an additional fee. Register online individually or as a group at www.uwp.edu/go/teaching and clicking the Common Core Standards Training linkFor more information, call Marisella Malacara at 262-595-2753 or access firstname.lastname@example.org by email.