AmeriCorps/VISTA positions: Apply now
In partnership with the Racine Kenosha Community Action Agency and the City of Racine, the Center for Community Partnerships announces the University of Wisconsin-Parkside VISTA Project. VISTA members will work to build the capacity of individual organizations and community coalitions to address employment, economic development, and financial education for low income populations. The university is seeking applicants for seven AmeriCorps/VISTA positions.
The UW-Parkside VISTA positions are:
- UW-Parkside VISTA Leader: The leader serves a group of VISTAs who will empower low income people through addressing employment, financial fitness, and economic development. One year of VISTA experience required.
- Human Capital Development, Racine: The VISTA member serving at Human Capital Development Corp. (HCDC) is responsible for building organizational capacity at HCDC leading to increased outreach and recruitment and better data collection.
- Racine Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program: VISTA member assists to expand, enhance, and sustain the Racine Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program to low income and underserved populations in urban and rural areas.
- Sustainable Local Food Employment Project: VISTA member coordinates and aligns the many disparate local and healthy food initiatives in Racine County.
- Racine Coalition for Financial Fitness: VISTA assists individuals and families in becoming more financially educated and secure in their financial situations.
- Launch Box Initiative: VISTA helps Launch Box provide a comprehensive and coordinated effort to grow and create jobs by supporting small business development.
- Homeless Assistance Coalition: VISTA member helps the Homeless Assistance Coalition perform the services they provide to at-risk and homeless individuals and families throughout Racine County.
VISTA members receive a modest living allowance, health care, and other benefits. Upon completing their service, they can choose to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend. UW-Parkside VISTA assignments begin August 2012.
AmeriCorps/VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Authorized in 1964 and founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, strengthen community groups, and more.For detailed information on each position and deadlines for applications, visit the AmeriCorps/VISTA web site and search "Wisconsin" for listings in Racine and Kenosha. If you have questions, call Debra Karp at 262-595-2367 or access firstname.lastname@example.org via email.