VP Biden to visit campus Friday
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside has been chosen by Obama for America as a location to host students and the greater community for an appearance by Vice President Joe Biden Friday, Oct. 26. Vice President Biden's appearance takes place in the Alfred and Bernice DeSimone Gymnasium in the Sports & Activity Center. Doors to enter the event open at 12:30 p.m.
Educational and Historical
· This is the first time a sitting vice president has greeted students and the community on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. It is an historic event for our campus community. As a center of learning, and aligned with our current awareness campaign "The Election Experience," this visit will encourage students and the community to engage in the current and future activities central to our democracy.
Attending the Event: Free with Ticket
· Admission is free to this event. However, those interested in attending the appearance are required to have a ticket. One ticket will be distributed per person on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets will be distributed at Obama for America field offices in Kenosha, Racine, Burlington, Cudahy and Elkhorn. Student-volunteers, as members of the College Democrats, will be distributing tickets on the Student Center Bridge Thursday from 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Impact on Campus
· Vice President Biden's visit may cause inconveniences for a short amount of time, and we thank you for your patience and understanding. There will be a high level of planning activity for the event. The Sports & Activity Center will be closed to general use by UW-Parkside students, faculty and staff, and to the general public on Friday, Oct. 26. Accommodations will be made for alternate classroom space as needed. In addition, a portion of the campus roadway will be closed during the vice president's visit.
Important reminder: Political Activity Guidelines
· Fees are being charged to Obama for America for leasing space and other resources needed to support the day's activities.
Faculty, staff and students of the University of Wisconsin System are subject to certain regulations regarding political campaign activity. For questions concerning involvement in political campaigns, please refer to the UW System website document "Guidance on Political Campaign Activities at University of Wisconsin System Institutions."
In general, political campaign activities for faculty, staff and students are restricted by UW System Board of Regents policy and state law in three areas:
(1) Persons may not engage in political campaign activities during work time;
(2) Persons may not use state resources to engage in political campaign activities at any time; and(3) Persons may not solicit contributions or services for a political purpose from other university employees while they are engaged in their official duties.