Today’s forecast: Chili/soupy at around 11:30
With well over a dozen varieties to choose from, today's 11th annual Chili/Soup Cook Off will continue to burnish its reputation as the tastiest event of the year. The Parkside Employee Alumni Group's annual scholarship fund raiser is today from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Main Place of Wyllie Hall. And this year, it also helps the United Way.
The chili menu reads:
- All Pig Crime Scene Chili by Matthew Makarios
- Veggie Black Bean Chili by John Standard
- Just Plain Chili by Peggy Karls
- Chili Recipe #42 by Tim Knautz
- 3-Meat Chili by Heather Miles, and
- Red, White and Blues Chili by Connie Wheeler
The soup menu shows:
- Soup's On Rangers! by Karl Grabher
- Chicken Soup for the Stomach by Dave Buchanan
- Jeannine's Surprise by Jeannine Brokmeier
- Roasted Red Pepper, Chicken & Gouda Bisque by Tim Knautz
- 5AM Soup by Heather Miles
- Southern Peanut Soup by John Moore, and
- Corn and Cheddar Chowder by Amanda DesLauriers
And then there are the "mystery recipes" of Monica Schluckebier and Moreen Carvan who are making soup and chili, respectively. You have to be there to find out more about them.
The chefs compete for the coveted Golden Chili Ladle or Soup Bowl traveling trophies, and a gift certificate to an area restaurant. Plus, the winner gets the right to help judge next year's competition. Chili and soup connoisseurs can sample as many of these delectable dishes as they want either by the bowl or by a sampler size cup.
Proceeds from the Chili/Soup Cook Off go to the Alumni Scholarship Fund. You can also "vote" for their favorite chefs with your spare change with the money going to the university's United Way Campaign.
That's today at 11:30 a.m. for the 11th annual Chili/Soup Cook Off in Main Place of Wyllie Hall. Be there early because this event--the tastiest event of the year--sells out fast!