Position Description: Faculty director of CBL&R
The faculty director of community based learning and research (CBL&R) will offer broad support for UW-Parkside's community-based learning and research efforts, building upon established infrastructure with the CCP and the four academic colleges. He /she will report to the CCP director of community engagement and work in cooperation with the CCP executive director and CBL (Service-Learning) Coordinator.
The faculty director of community based learning and research will assume the following responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the director of community engagement, AmeriCorps*VISTA members, and other CCP staff to lead and support UW-Parkside's community-based learning and research efforts.
- Strategize activities to support faculty and students involved in community-based learning, such as orientations, brown bags, guest speakers, mini-conferences, reading groups, etc. Partner with other UW-Parkside entities to promote, support, enhance, and celebrate community based learning and research, including, but not limited to, the Teaching and Learning Center, the director of General Education, the coordinator of the First Year Experience.
- Coordinate implementation of ongoing faculty development and mentoring opportunities related to community-based learning designed collaboratively with the director of community engagement.
- Review evaluation of CBL courses and provide mentoring feedback to faculty each semester.
- Coordinate with the CCP executive director, CCP staff, and other relevant academic committees/administrative units, to design and implement a comprehensive evaluation of campus engagement activities, with efforts focused largely on assessing outcomes associated with UW-Parkside's community based learning and research efforts.
- Serve as a faculty advocate and spokesperson for the CBL&R to relevant constituencies, such as the University Committee, Academic Staff Committee, Classified Staff Committees, etc.
- Coordinate, publicize, and recognize outstanding community based learning and research efforts by faculty (e.g., CELR award and annual faculty recognition).
- Promote the CBL Certificate and assist faculty honors director with the civic honors program, as necessary
- Advise students in community based learning and civic honors programs
- Teach HONS 496, CBL 495 (capstone), and take an active role in teaching CBL 101 classes
- Apply for the President's Honor Roll for Civic Engagement each year
- Support faculty efforts to present and publish scholarly work related to CBL.
- Advocate for faculty and student recognition for CBL efforts.
- Collaborate with CCP staff to support programming efforts through targeted applications for funding
- Support faculty efforts to communicate with other campuses regarding best practices for program development at UW-Parkside
The faculty director of community based learning and research position carries a two-course release (per year) and an annual salary supplement. The initial appointment will be for a period of three years.
- Must hold a full-time faculty position at UW-Parkside
- Demonstrated experience with, commitment to and knowledge of the purpose and goals of community based learning and research, particularly as it relates to the broad vision of an engaged campus
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with culturally diverse students and staff, and ability to work constructively with a variety of university and community constituencies