Now playing: Fresh Inc Music Festival 2013
Now through Sunday, June 23, UW-Parkside and the Rita Tallent Picken Regional Center for Arts and Humanities are hosting the Fifth House Ensemble Fresh Inc Music Festival 2013. This two-week residency program of clinics and workshops concludes with a free public concert June 23 in the Frances Bedford Concert Hall.
Festival attendees are using The Rita's state-of-the-art classrooms, rehearsal, and performance venues during their stay on campus. They are also enjoying university housing and dining facilities.
Dean Yohnk said events like the Fresh Inc Festival are one of the reasons the old Communication Arts Building was reconstructed.
"[The Festival] truly epitomizes the mission, vision, and goals of The Rita," said Dr. Yohnk who is dean of the College of Arts and Humanities. "I want to applaud Karen Sorensen, Keith Harris, and their amazing team in The Rita office for taking the lead in planning and coordinating this excellent event."
Dr. Yohnk noted the festival will help fund operation of The Rita's facilities and staff.
During their stay on campus, the professional musicians and composers in residence have the opportunity to:
More information about Fifth House Ensemble and the Fresh Inc Music Festival 2013 is available online.
- Receive expert individual instruction with instrumental and composition faculty;
- Participate in collaborative workshops with artists of different disciplines to create unique performance experiences for audiences of all types;
- Workshop and perform classic and newly written repertoire side-by-side with the Fifth House Ensemble;
- Meet with industry professionals in music and marketing;
- Learn to craft a portfolio and business structure to support themselves as artist; and
- Create lasting collaborative relationships with fellow performers and composers