Help wanted: UW-Parkside VISTA Project
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of people living in poverty?
Would you like to make great friends, gain professional experience, and learn new things about the Racine community and yourself?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, the UW-Parkside VISTA project is for you!
The UW-Parkside VISTA Project, a partnership between the University of Wisconsin-Parkside and the City of Racine is looking for seven motivated, energetic individualssix VISTAs and one VISTA Leaderto commit to a one-year term of service in Racine. VISTAs support local nonprofits that are working to foster economic development and promote financial literacy to those living in poverty in Racine. Each VISTA works at a different site, engaging with a variety of initiatives dedicated to lifting Racine residents out of poverty.
The projects and supervisor sites are:
- Sustainable Local Food Employment: Sustainable Edible Economic Development (SEED), Racine Urban Garden Network (RUGN), & Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization (HALO);
- Small Business Development: Racine County Economic Development Corporation and the City of Racine Planning Department;
- Pre-Apprenticeship Training Program Expansion: Human Capital Development Corporation;
- Homeless Assistance Coalition of Racine County (HAC)-Continuum of Care (CoC): Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc.;
- Racine Coalition for Financial Fitness (RCFF): Family Service of Racine; and
- Racine County Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): Racine Kenosha Community Action Agency
In addition to a satisfying work experience, there are other benefits to joining the UW-Parkside VISTA program. VISTAs receive a modest living allowance, health benefits, extensive professional development trainings, loan deferment or forbearance for all federal student loans, relocation allowance, and a Sealy Education Award or cash stipend at the end of the term of service.To learn more about joining the UW-Parkside VISTA Project or to learn how to apply, email Amanda DesLauriers at email@example.com or call 262-595-2652.