“Nguzo Saba Suite” headlines UW-P Musical December
A pair of Arts Alive! performances of Glenn Burleigh's "Nguzo Saba Suite" are the centerpieces of a Musical December to Remember at UW-Parkside. The Master Singers' Dec. 2 and 3 performances are flanked by concerts of the Community Orchestra and UW-Parkside Choirs, the Jazz Ensemble, the Guitar Ensemble and Woodwind Ensemble, the Wind Ensemble and Community Band, and the U.S. Navy Band Great Lakes Wind Ensemble. These musical events take place Dec. 1-8 in the Frances Bedford Concert Hall of the Rita Tallent Picken Regional Center for Arts and Humanities.
Commissioned and premiered by UW-Parkside in 1994, the Kwanzaa-inspired "Nguzo Saba Suite" has since been performed worldwide. Conductor James Kinchen called the text a reflection of Burleigh's personal understanding of Kwanzaa principles, his Christian faith, and his desire to connect his text with contemporary issues, concerns, and needs, especially those affecting the African American community.
The Master Singers are joined by the Choral Arts Society of Southeast Wisconsin for both performances and by the Stephen Bull Fine Arts Elementary School Chorale on Sunday.
They are held Dec. 2 at 3:30 p.m. and Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are $17 for adults, $13 for seniors and UW-Parkside faculty and staff, and $8 for students. You can order online by visiting www.uwparksidetickets.com or by calling 262-595-2307.
The Musical December to Remember begins
- Saturday, Dec. 1, at 7:30 p.m. with a joint performance by the UW-Parkside Community Orchestra and UW-Parkside Choirs;
- Tuesday, Dec. 4, at 7:30 p.m., the UW-Parkside Jazz Ensemble is in concert;
- Wednesday, Dec. 5, the free Noon Concert features the UW-Parkside Guitar Ensemble and UW-Parkside Woodwind Ensemble starting at noon.
- Friday, Dec. 7, at 7:30 p.m., the UW-Parkside Wind Ensemble and Community Band present a joint concert; and
- Saturday, Dec. 8, the U.S. Navy Band Great Lakes Wind Ensemble holds its Holiday Concert beginning at 7 p.m.
Each concert is held in the acoustically perfect Frances Bedford Concert Hall of the Rita Tallent Picken Regional Center for Arts and Humanities. Admission for the Dec. 1, Dec. 4, and Dec. 7 performances is $8 for adults and $5 for students; admission for the U.S. Navy Band concert is free, however, a ticket is required. Call (262) 595-2564 for ticket information.It's a Musical December to Remember at UW-Parkside. Don't miss a note!