Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
The University of Wisconsin Parkside invites applicants for a Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
- Master's degree.
- Minimum seven years student financial aid experience with evidence of increasing responsibilities.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of federal and state financial aid programs and regulations.
- Strong technology proficiency and understanding of the critical role it plays in serving students.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse student and faculty/staff population.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Documented proficiency using PeopleSoft Student Administration software.
- Documented experience writing policies and procedures as well as interpreting student financial aid regulations.
- Prior experience with financial literacy programs including presentations at high schools, orientations, and other venues speaking about financial choices and paying for college.
- Documented experience working with business process improvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Associate Vice Chancellor, this position provides management, leadership and vision for the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and its staff. The Director ensures that Scholarship and Financial Aid services are delivered in a timely manner, following regulatory compliance and good stewardship of institutional, private, federal and state financial aid funds. As a member of the Division of Enrollment Services team, the Director works collaboratively with the offices of Admissions, Advising & Career Center, Cashiers, Registrar, and Dean of Students. This position requires a leader that has a proven track record administering all aspects of a Financial Aid Office. This position requires experience with federal and state financial aid compliance audits, budget management and federal and state financial aid report cycles. This position requires experience supervising professional and office support staff. The Director ensures that the office provides exceptional customer service to students, parents, the university and the community at large.
1. Management, Leadership and Vision
- Designs, establishes and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objections.
- Oversees recruitment, training, supervision and evaluation of financial staff.
- Manage the daily operation of the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid, ensuring that all activities are timely and accurate.
- Oversee the development, implementation, documentation and maintenance of financial aid policies and procedures.
- Facilitate the strategic use of financial aid resources to support the university's strategic enrollment efforts.
- Develop strategic communication to students and staff regarding financial aid and related issues.
- Ensure that the Financial Aid Office provides exceptional customer service to prospective and current students and their families.
- Serve as an expert resource regarding financial aid policies and trends to the university administration.
- Serve on institutional, regional and national committees that promote and enhance the Financial Aid profession.
2. Regulatory Compliance
- Interprets federal regulations, guidelines and professional literature on financial aid and inform staff of changes, modifications and interpretations resulting from new or current legislation.
- Ensure compliance with Federal, State, institutional, and private agency regulations for administering financial aid programs and maintaining Title IV eligibility.
- Work with the Financial Aid Systems Information Manager to ensure that the PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module is configured to regulatory standards.
- Monitor and reconcile fund expenditures for all federal, state and institutional financial aid funds.
- Coordinate the annual Federal Title IV FISAP submission to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Develop and enforce the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Policy as mandated by federal regulations.
- Ensure that student financial aid awards are in compliance with the pertinent regulatory requirements, establishing appropriate quality control measures in processing, awarding and within the PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module.
- Maintain familiarity with Veteran's Administration and Department of Defense student assistance programs.
3. Operational Activities
- Oversee the Out of State Scholar (non-resident remission) Program through reporting and awarding strategies. Assist financial aid counselor assigned to administer and reconcile the program.
- Ensure timely reporting of time-sensitive financial aid related reports (FISAP, financial aid CDR, Annual Remission report, etc.).
- Ensure the department stays within its operational budget for travel, supplies, and misc. expenses.
- Determine financial aid Cost of Attendance budgets annually following regulatory guidelines.
- Prepare for and work with LAB auditors as needed for A133 audits and related follow-up.
- Work with the Cashier's Office and Business Services to ensure timely reconciliation of federal, state and UWP scholarship accounts.
- Assist with the overall administration of UWP scholarships processes in conjunction with the scholarship coordinator.
- Maintain financial aid statistics and provide to campus partners twice per month.
- Work with athletic coaches and NCAA compliance officer in coordinating athletic financial assistance, grants-in-aid, and equivalencies.
4. Participate as a team member in meeting departmental and institutional goals
- Represent the university on the UW System Financial Aid Directors group.
- Represent the office on university committees and the institution in state and national professional organizations.
- Participate in professional development opportunities through webinars, workshops, conferences, etc. to maintain up-to-date knowledge of federal and state regulatory changes, and network with colleagues from other campuses.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of regulations for administering student financial aid programs, financial aid need analysis, and processes.
- Considerable experience working with specific financial aid programs.
- Working knowledge of FERPA rules and regulations and ability to ensure compliance.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Considerable experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), PeopleSoft, imaging and the ability to create queries.
- Ability to work well with diverse people and groups with different levels of technical ability.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective professional working relationships with individuals at all organization levels on campus.
- Ability to work independently and with a team of colleagues.
- Ability to efficiently plan, organize and prioritize multiple work assignments and projects.
- Ability to identify, analyze and resolve problems or concerns.
- Ability to perform work often under pressure to meet student service and operational demands while maintaining service standards.
- Demonstrated understanding of student learning and student development theory.
The University and Area
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement.This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan.The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students.UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties.Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience.The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses.There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers.The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
Review of Applications
Applications received by June 30, 2015, are ensured full consideration; position is open until filled.
Go to: www.careers.wisconsin.edu
Click the "Apply Now" button if you have an existing account or register to create an account. . If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password' and select "Login."
Interested candidates should submit the following in electronic format. Each bullet point should be sent as a separate file/attachment. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and required fields are completed.
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information of at least 3 professional references
It is the policy of UW Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities.If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below.Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
A criminal background check and degree verification is part of the application process.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
Salary:Commensurate with qualifications and experience.The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
If you have application questions call or email:
University of Wisconsin Parkside
Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Office (262) 595-2647