- EXPLORE/UWP INFORMATION
- HUMAN RESOURCES
Associate Outreach Specialist
Code: 14434 Posted: 06/18/2018
Associate Outreach Specialist
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Associate Outreach Specialist.
The Internship and On Campus Employment Specialist (Official Title: Associate Outreach Specialist) will effectively establish and cultivate relationships with employers, community partners, and on-campus departments to assist UW-Parkside students in gaining internships and on-campus employment. In addition, this position will act as liaison and collaborate with other campus units to create career development programming and experiences. This position will also assist students in identifying opportunities to develop career-readiness skills during their academic careers and advise students regarding internships and on-campus employment opportunities. Off-campus travel required. This is a year-round position reporting to the Director of Community Engagement.
- Bachelor's degree in business, human resources, communication or related field.
- Experience working in a university career center, marketing department, career development, college student employment program, human resources department or a related area.
- Experience in program or event coordination.
- Experience in marketing programs or related coursework in marketing.
- Master's degree in business, career counseling, human resources, communication or related field.
- Experience coordinating a campus internship or employment program.
- Demonstrated understanding of how to incorporate emerging career development theories into an integrated campus model of service delivery.
- Experience using career management systems such as Handshake or similar database for community engagement or student activities.
Develop internship opportunities:
- Establish and cultivate relations with employers and community partners in Southeast Wisconsin and Northeastern Illinois to facilitate consideration of UW-Parkside current students for internships. Create and implement an employer and community partner recruitment plan.
- Meet with employers to discuss recruiting objectives, increase awareness of UWP programs and introduce services available.
- Maintain database of employer contacts/information.
- Provide information on students/curricula/programs to assist potential employers in designing appropraiate and meaningful internships that meet their needs.
- Create and provide internship supervisors with necessary tools and resources needed to make internships a high impact experience for students.
- Collect and analyze data on internships; report on activities for both internal and external audiences. Prepare regular reports.
- Work with Institutional Research to identify, align, and develop assessment tools and oversee evaluation of internship experiences.
- Work with University Advancement to seek grant funding, sponsorships, and donations to support paid student internships.
- With University Events Planner, produce annual internship fair.
- Support the Faculty Director in providing professional development for faculty and staff regarding internships.
Develop on-campus student employment opportunities:
- Collaborate with campus units to strengthen on-campus student employment practices to provide professional experience for student employees.
- Create and provide on-campus employers with necessary tools and resources needed to make student employment a high impact experience.
- Assist with the collection and compilation of data and statistics and reporting related to on-campus employment.
Market opportunities and support equity and access for all students:
- Collaborate with Advising and Career Center staff to communicate opportunities to other staff, students and faculty.
- Work with campus Integrated Marketing team to implement a variety of marketing techniques, including technology and social media, to gain student interest in campus events, such as the Internship Fair.
- Promote knowledge of and help implement best practices regarding equity and access to internships and on-campus employment opportunities by collaborating with faculty, University Relations, professional and community organizations.
- Advise students on an individual and group basis regarding how to search for, engage in and communitcate their internship and campus employment as well as other applied learning experiences.
- Participate in campus committees and/or attend student club events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with diverse students having a variety of majors and potential career interests.
- Considerable proficiency in software applications such as Microsoft Suite (MS Word, Excel, Power Point), etc.
- Familiarity with advising techniques, internship and job search techniques and employers' recruiting methods.
- Ability to interact with faculty, staff, students and employment community.
- Ability to identify, analyze and resolve problems or concerns.
- Ability to work independently and with a team of colleagues.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple work assignments and projects.
- Working knowledge of email and database applications.
- Working knowledge of time management techniques and practices.
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement strategies to encourage student participation in various programs and events.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct presentations.
- Knowledge of problem solving and conflict resolution techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply regulations, policies, guidelines, and procedures; analyze work and reporting requirements.
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu
Applications received by 11:59 PM, Monday, July 9th, 2018, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (Candidates NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then under “Main Menu” choose:
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
University of Wisconsin Parkside
Office: (262) 595-2261
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check - The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applicants should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Julie Lee
Contact Phone: 2625952261