First Shift Custodian-Student Center
Code: 14899 Posted: 11/13/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Custodian 1st Shift Student Services.
This position is pertinent to maintain a high-level of cleanliness in the Parkside Student Center for its students and guest. First shift is Sunday-Thursday 6:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the Student Center in a clean, sanitary and pleasant condition.
- Sweep, mop, scrub, strip, seal and wax floors.
- Clean and polish fixtures and furnishings.
- Wash windows, walls, and tables.
- Use power equipment to vacuum and/or shampoo floors and upholster furniture.
- Clean light fixtures and replace bulbs.
- Collect and dispose of trash and recylcalb.es.
- Remove snow from doorways and walkways.
- Perform a level 3 cleaning standard for facility and surfaces.
- Recognize routine problems and reform required routine maintenance.
- Prepare for scheduled events and functions.
- Transport and/or rearrange furnishings.
- Setup and/or remove audiovisual or other equipment as needed.
- Assist clients with final preparations for events and functions.
- Maintain building and equipment in a function and visually acceptable condition.
- Deliver and set up new equipment and furniture.
- Inventory and surplus items as directed.
- Tag equipment and furniture as directed.
- Relocate furniture and equipment as necessary.
- Maintain accurate records and reports.
- Operate custodial equipment properly.
- Report equipment repairs in a timely fashion.
- Maintain an orderly stock of supplies in supply closets and storage.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance as directed.
- Miscellaneous duties.
- Participate in training sessions.
- Serve as a designated Campus Security Authority (CSA) for Clery Compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Physical strength and stamina necessary to perform required work – able to bend, stoop, kneel, move furniture and work on feet for long periods of time.
- Willingness to accept supervisors’ suggestions.
- Aptitude to learn from oral instruction by listening and asking questions.
- Aptitude to learn functions and use of standard cleaning implements.
- Able to read work instructions and schedules, warming signs and instructions for equipment operations.
- Knowledge of proper methods, materials, and equipment used in a variety of building cleaning, sanitizing and preservation work.
- Willingness to perform repetitive tasks.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ergonomic Requirements:
- Frequent lifting and bending.
- Must be able to lift up to 75lbs.
- Walking between various parts of the building and campus complex is required.
- Frequent back and form motion of arms required for vacuuming and floor scrubber use.
- Frequent pushing/pulling of various sized carts.
- Must be able to reach above head to clean high areas.
- Frequent up and down motion of the upper arms required for cleaning.
- Must be able to shovel snow.
- Age eighteen
- Ability to read written directions without assistance
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse, multicultural environment
- High School graduation of successful completion of a recognized high school or level general education development test
- previous custodial experience
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate of $13.50 depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "14899"
- Select "First Shift Custodian-Student Center"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Review of Applications
Applications received by Sunday November 25th, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.