- EXPLORE/UWP INFORMATION
- HUMAN RESOURCES
University Staff Groundskeeper 2 positions (Public May Apply)
University Staff Groundskeeper 2 positions (Public May Apply)
Code: 14159 Posted: 03/26/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside currently has two vacancies for Groundskeepers in the Facilities Management Department.
This position is a university staff, full-time, non-exempt, non-represented position. A six month permissive probation period may be required. Scheduled hours of work are Monday through Friday, 6 am – 2:30 pm.
Maintenance of campus lawns, athletic turf, trees, shrubs, and flowers including annuals and perennials. Maintenance of sidewalks, roadways and parking lots. The ability to operate motor vehicles and specialized grounds equipment to maintain lawns, athletic turf parking lots, roads and sidewalks. Not limited to trucks, loaders, and mowers, striping equipment and related hand and power tools. Perform snow removal operations on campus including sidewalks, roads and parking lots.
- Mow, trim, rake, aerate, fertilize and water lawn.
- Plant, prune, weed, hoe and fertilize trees and shrubs.
- Plant and replace trees and shrubs.
- Fertilize, water and mulch trees and shrubs.
- Apply pesticides and fertilizer as required.
- Reseed and sod turf areas.
- Assist in nursery and greenhouse operations which pertain to campus trees and shrubs.
- Operate mechanical equipment, such as: riding lawn mowers, skid steers, tractors, tractor implements (spreaders, posthole diggers and payloaders), 4-wheel drive vehicles, dump trucks, line trimmers and irrigation equipment as required to maintain healthy turf.
- Install and maintain irrigation systems and equipment.
- Assist in miscellaneous duties relating to athletic field maintenance.
- Pick up litter on campus.
20% Maintenance of Sidewalks, Roadways and Parking Lots
- Perform all operations necessary for effective and timely snow removal. Overtime may be required.
- Operate snow removal equipment, plow trucks, skid steers and loaders.
- Perform all duties necessary in maintaining parking lot and roads striping operations.
- Installation and replacement of all campus exterior signage. Not limited to installation of sign posts and fabrication of sign holders.
5% Maintenance of Campus Natural Areas
- Perform all duties necessary to maintain the integrity of existing natural areas.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, weeding, planting, burning and fertilizing.
- Assist in the reconstruction of new naturalistic landscape areas.
- Assist in greenhouse and nursery operations which pertain to maintenance of campus natural areas.
5% Maintenance of Campus Flower Beds
- Assist in the design and planting of annual and perennial herbaceous species.
- Assist in weeding, watering, fertilizing and using pesticides as required.
- Assist in greenhouse and nursery operations which pertain to maintenance of campus flower beds.
14% Performance of Miscellaneous Duties
- Maintain required records and reports.
- Maintain a valid commercial driver’s license for use of vehicles in performance of duties described in this Position Description.
- Perform routine maintenance on all equipment used in aforementioned duties relating to grounds maintenance.
- Perform maintenance on all grounds building areas.
- Move office, classroom and lab furniture and large and/or sensitive equipment in a manner to assure its integrity.
- Provide direction to student and limited-term employees.
- Perform routine campus clean-up operations.
- Set up and assist with special events.
4% Tool Utilization
- Apply knowledge and skills to select proper tools for efficient use and job performance.
- Equipment to be used on the job: (F - Frequently, O – Occasionally, R – Rarely)
F – Push mowers, string trimmers, rakes, shovels, pruning saws, hand pruners.
O – Rototillers, chain saws.
b. Large Machinery:
F – Bobcat, trucks, riding lawn mowers.
O – Front end loader, tractor and attachments, aerial bucket truck.
c. Electrical Equipment:
F – Electric hand tools, drills, and saws.
O – Water pumps, gas generators.
O – Fertilizers, pesticides, automotive supplies, cleaning supplies
- Perform necessary paperwork to accurately reflect tasks completed and tools used in the completion of assigned work orders.
- Make repairs as needed and perform preventative maintenance. Use personal initiative without constant supervision
2% Commitment to Professional Improvement
- Attend work-related lectures, seminars and field demonstrations as directed by supervisor.
- Make pertinent suggestions on the improvement of work related operations
- Requires the performance under adverse conditions, working below grade and from elevated or uneven surfaces
- The ability to climb ladders, traverse planks or walkways, squat, kneel, twist and lift heavy objects repeatedly and adequated balanced stability to accomplish the noted tasks is required.
- The ability to operate motor vehicles and specialized grounds equipment, performance of snow removal operation and performance of miscellaneous duties.
- Must have the aptitude to learn from oral and written instructions by listening and asking questions
- Be willing and able to fill in for employees on leave of absence (vacation, sick leave, etc.).
- Must be able to accept supervisor's directions.
- Must be able to communicate well with the supervisor and other members on the staff.
- Must be able to work on a lift in high places and in confine spaces.
- Responsible for Money, University Funds or Accounts which hold financial information? Yes
Ergonomic Requirements: Must have the physical strength and stamina to perform required work. Lifting of up to 100 lbs. is sometime necessary. Physical ability to stand and walk continuously throughout an eight hour shift. Ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop and kneel. Ability to reach above your head, walk stairs and climb ladders. Ability to perform duties above 30 feet in order to prune trees. Ability to tolerate temperature extremes when performing outdoor activities (most grounds work, snow removal, etc.). Ability to perform tasks requiring repetitive motion.
Education, Experience, Training and/or Certifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to be trained on and use all grounds equipment.
- Ability to carry out multiple work assignments.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Acquire and maintain a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License within 3 months of hire date.
- Ability to perform minimal computer functions such as punch in/out on webclock and email.
- Previous grounds maintenance experience.
- Landscaping or horticulture degree.
- Experience in snow removal in a commercial environment
Starting hourly rate of $12.50 depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Applications received by Friday, April 6, 2018 are ensured full consideration.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
"Advanced Search", Job Opening ID: "14159"
Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime" click "Search"
Select "Groundskeeper", click "Apply”
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register " to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “ job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applicants should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Sherry Craig
Contact Phone: 262/595-3621
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org