University Staff, Permanent - Custodian, 3rd Shift (2 Positions, Public May Apply)
University Staff, Permanent - Custodian, 3rd Shift (2 Positions, Public May Apply)
Code: 12077 Posted: 07/08/2016
The University of Wisconsin Parkside currently has two vacancies for 3rd shift Custodians in the Facilities Management Department.
Members of the public and UW Parkside and UW System employees with expected continuous employment (formerly known as Permanent), Project and Limited Term Employees, are encouraged to apply.
These are full-time, non-represented, non-exempt positions. A six month permissive probation period will be required.
3rd shift is Sunday-Thursday 10PM to 6AM.
The primary responsibilities for the Custodian position is maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings; maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets; perform detailed cleaning as needed; and recognize problems and take appropriate corrective action to perform required routine maintenance.
NOTE: The Facilities Management Department also has two vacancies for 1st shift Custodians (Monday-Friday 5AM to 1:30PM). All applicants for the 3rd shift Custodian position are welcome to apply to the 1st shift Custodian position as well. Please see "Application Process" below for further details.
90% A. Maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings to provide an environment conducive to the educational process.
A1. Operate power equipment/manually sweep and clean offices, classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, stairs and elevators.
A2. Operate power equipment/manually mop and wax floors and hallways.
A3. Collection of waste and recyclable materials including their placement in proper receptacles or collection sites.
A4. Wash windows, walls, chalk boards and stair risers.
A5. Replenish restrooms with building supplies.
A6. Clean lighting fixtures and replace light bulbs.
A7. Operate power equipment to shampoo carpeting and clean upholstered furniture.
A8. Wash and dust furniture routinely, as needed.
A9. Remove snow from walls and drives to allow access to buildings.
A10. Detail cleaning: Detail duties, i.e., dust shelving, paintings, and wall hangings, dust/clean blinds, wash doors, walls and handrails as needed.
03% B. Maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets to insure smooth operation and continuous maintenance in one's assigned area.
B1. The operation of custodial equipment with regular cleaning and inspections for adjustment and repair.
B2. Maintain an orderly stock of supplies in supply closets for distribution.
C1. Coordinate work schedules to fit into daily activity or assigned area and establishes a routine.
C2. Participate in training session on operation of equipment and maintenance methods.
C3. Notify superior of equipment and facilities in need of repair.
C4. Communicate and work with management and the occupants of assigned areas to ensure a high degree of cleanliness and proper waste handling.
02% D. Performance of other maintenance operations as directed by Supervisor.
D1. Maintain simple records and make reports on activities as needed.
D2. Move furniture and equipment as required.
D3. Assist other crew members with supervisor's permission, expediting big cleaning duties.
- Physical strength and stamina necessary to perform required work such as the ability to bend, stoop, kneel, move furniture, and work on feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to conduct Inventory/Tagging of new equipment and furniture.
- Ability to conduct routine repair of custodial equipment.
- Willingness to accept supervisor's suggestions.
- Aptitude to learn from oral instruction by listening and asking questions.
- Aptitude to learn functions and use of standard cleaning implements.
- Able to read work instructions and schedules, warning signs and instructions for equipment operation.
- Knowledge of proper methods, materials, and equipment used in a variety of building cleaning, sanitizing and preservation work.
- Willingness to perform repetitive tasks.
- Acceptable attitudes toward type of people encountered on the job.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Ability to read written directions without assistance.
- Ability to use cleaning supplies, floor stripper and wax, carpet cleaning supplies
- Ability to use a vacuum, broom, mop, window washing equipment, carpet cleaner, screwdriver, scrapper, and manual cleaning equipment.
(i.e. excessive mobility to make deliveries on campus, climbing ladders, extensive computer use)
- Frequent lifting and bending.
- Must be able to lift at least 75 pounds.
- Walking between various parts of the building is required.
- Frequent back and forth motion of arms required for vacuuming.
- Frequent pushing/pulling of various sized carts.
- Frequent reaching above head to clean high areas.
- Frequent up and down motion of the upper arms required for cleaning.
- Occasional shoveling of snow.
- Frequent stooping and kneeling
- Frequent standing on feet for long periods of time
- Frequent climbing of ladders
- Frequent repetitive motions
(By each piece of equipment, "F" for frequent use, "O" for occasional use, or "R" for rare use.)
1. Tools: (power or manual tools)
Vacuum – F, Dust mop – F, Wet Mop – F, Window Washing equipment – O, Screwdriver – R, Scrapper – O.
2. Large Machinery: (includes vehicles)
Pressure Washer – R, Auto scrubber – R, Rotary Scrubber – O, Vacuum Cleaner – F, Carpet Cleaner – O,
3. Electrical Equipment: (i.e.: floor buffer, includes office equipment)
Same as number 2.
4. Chemicals: (includes cleaning supplies, lab chemicals, hazardous waste)
Cleaning supplies, floor stripper, wax and carpet cleaning supplies, restroom cleaners, acid bowl cleaner and descaler
Additional information – these positions works primarily in campus classrooms, restrooms, offices, Library and Sports and Activity Center.
- Previous custodial experience
- Eighteen years of age or successful completion of a recognized high school level general education development test
Hourly rate will be $11.511/hour.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Applications submitted by Friday, July 22nd, 2016 will have full consideration; position is open until filled.
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- Names and Contact Information for three (3) professional references
STEP 1: Select the applicable link below:
(a) Applicants not currently employed by the UW System, please click on link https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process. Under "Basic Job Search" enter the Keyword "Parkside" and click the Search button. Select applicable job opening. Click "Apply Now".
Please submit the application materials online as required by the job posting. Select "Submit". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee. Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
(b) Applicants currently employed by the UW System, please click on link https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu
You must login into your UW Portal to apply.
Go to the Time and Absence section. Click on "Enter Absence" which is located at the top of the Time and Absence section. This will log you into HRS.
Once logged into HRS, on the Menu Tab, on the left side of screen, click on Self Service
After entering the self-service page click on Careers link.
Browse Job Openings and click on the applicable job opening to apply.
Please submit the application materials online as required by the job posting. Select "Submit". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Incomplete applications may not receive further consideration.
NOTE: If you also wish to apply for the 1st shift Custodian position please follow the above process using the Job Opening ID "12076" – you will not be considered for both positions unless you apply to both individual positions. If you choose to apply to both Custodian positions please specify any preferences in shift choice on your Cover Letter.
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Women, minorities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
Contact Name: Jennifer Wagner
Contact Phone: 262-595-2576
Contact Email: email@example.com