Calendar sharing is a feature in Outlook that will allow you to give someone else access to your calendar. Depending on the permissions that you set, they will be able to see your calendar, or even edit it. This is often used to prevent conflicts in an office, or to give an assistant the ability to see your calendar.
To share your calendar with someone else:
- Open Outlook.
- Click on the Home tab at the top of the window.
- Click on Calendar in the lower left corner of the window.
- In the pane on the far left, near the middle of the screen, you will see your calendars. Right-click on the calendar that you want to share.
- Click Properties.
- Click on the Permissions tab.
- Click the "Add..." button near the middle of the window.
- You will now see the address book. Search for the person that you want to share your calendar with using the field at the top of the window.
- Click on the person's name.
- Click the "Add ->" button.
- Click OK at the bottom of the window.
- You will now be back on the Permissions tab. Click on the user's name in the pane at the top of the window.
- Click on the drop down menu labelled "Permission Level" to change what the user can do with your calendar.
- They should now be able to add your calendar.
There are many permissions that you can give someone, but here are the two you will most likely use:
- Reviewer - this will give the user full description (where, when, etc.) of appointments.
- Publishing Editor - this will allowed the user to create and modify any appointments on your calendar
To open a calendar someone shared with you:
- Open Outlook
- Click on the "Home" tab at the top of the window.
- Click on "Calendar" in the lower left corner of the window.
- Click on "Open Calendar" at the top middle of the window. It is in the "Manage Calendars" group.
- Click "From Address Book" in the drop-down menu.
- Type the name of the user whose calendar you want to view in the search box at the top.
- Click on the user's name.
- Click the "Calendar ->" button. The user's name should now appear in the field beside the button.
- Click OK.
- Look in the pane on the left side where your calendar is.
- You should now see the user's calendar when you're in the calendar view in Outlook.