Chancellor's Task Force on Academic Staff Hiring
Step 1 – Position Authorization Request (PAR) is Approved
Immediately after receiving PAR approval the Director selects Search & Screen Committee Chair and membership (4-7 members), develops a draft calendar for the following:
- Deadline for completing initial review of application packet (date submitted on PAR)
- Approximate dates for phone/on-campus interviews
- Approximate date for submitting final recommendations/final candidates form
Within one week (ideally) of receiving PAR approval, the Search & Screen Committee Chair confirms Committee membership, completes and submits Committee Member Form to the Office of Equity & Diversity and to the searching Program's Director. (Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority gives final approval)
- It is strongly encouraged to have ethnic diversity and gender balance on Search & Screen Committees
- Search & Screen Committees must have a student member
Within two weeks (ideally) of receiving PAR approval, schedule Search & Screen Committee charge meeting with the Office of Equity & Diversity (OED)
Step 2 – Recruitment
Within one week (ideally) of receiving PAR approval , submit additional sources for advertisement and update the Recruitment Plan
- All ads and announcements must be approved by the Office of Equity & Diversity (submit electronic copy)
- All ad costs must be submitted to Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority's Office for review/approval
Step 3 – Applicant Screening
Before reviewing candidates' files develop initial screening evaluation tool, interview questions (phone/on-campus) and reference check questions
- Screening evaluation criteria must ONLY be taken from the approved position announcement attached to the PAR
- Submit evaluation instruments and interview (phone/on-campus) and reference check questions to the Office of Equity & Diversity for consultation
Immediately acknowledge receipt of all applications as they are received – send letter with forms (support staff responsibility)
Within one week of advertised review date for full consideration, Search & Screen Committee Chair will contact Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority and Office of Equity and Diversity to discuss the size and diversity of applicant pool. If approved by the Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority to continue, within 1 -2 weeks (ideally) after advertised review date, Search & Screen Committee meets in closed session to discuss candidates and place candidates into one of the following three tiers (maintain A.A. Flow log):
- First Tier – those chosen for additional screening
- Second Tier – remain in the pool, but no additional screening at this point
- Third Tier – not qualified, do not meet minimal job required qualifications
Step 4 – Interviews
Immediately following closed meeting session , under Wis. Stat. 19.85 (1)(c), submit to Program Director either Request to Telephone Interview Form and/or Request to On-Campus Interview Form for approval. Obtain signatures from the Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority, after consultation with the Office of Equity & Diversity.
- Telephone reference checks are required. Timing is dependent upon the obtaining of adequate information on candidates to make well-informed decisions at all stages of the process. Notify candidates that references will be checked.
- Candidate pool will be reviewed and administrative approval or recommended further steps will be given promptly (Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority in consultation with OED).
After receiving interview approval immediately develop on-campus interview agenda and schedule interviews - refer to Candidate Campus Visits guidelines in packet (also availability dates and travel/interview expenses from the Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority regarding meeting with the candidates).
, Send the Applicants Selected for Interview Letter (may be done by email)
, (see http://www.uwp.edu/departments/equity.and.diversity/suppstaffforms.cfm link: additional sample letters)
Step 5 – Deliberations & Final Offer
Within two days (ideally) of completing the interview process :
- The Search & Screen Committee Chair submits Final Candidates Form with the unranked list of finalists with strengths and weaknesses of each candidate to the Program Director, who forwards its recommendation to the Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority for approval. The Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority then consults with the Office of Equity & Diversity.
- The Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority's Office will schedule a meeting with the Program Director and Search & Screen Committee Chair to discuss the Search & Screen Committee's recommendations based upon the unranked list of finalists
- Final candidates will be reviewed and administrative approval or recommended further steps will be given promptly. (Further steps might include extending or closing the search.)
Upon approval, Letter of Offer will be initiated by the Vice Chancellor/Hiring Authority.
Step 6 – Close Search
Once the Letter of Offer is signed by the candidate, the Search Committee Chair and support staff will complete the A.A. Flow Log along with the Search & Screen File Check-Off List and (ideally) within one week submit a copy to the Office of Equity & Diversity retaining the original with the search & screen files. The search and screen files will be retained in the Human Resources Office.
All active candidates will be notified by the Search & Screen Committee that the search is closed.