|Administrative Procedure 92:Mass or Segmented
|Issued: 11/5/2013||Reference: Mass or Segmented Texting Policy 92
Chief Information Officer, Campus Technology Services
All texts originating from any University office are included in this procedure.
Text messages should not be used for:
- General information to large populations
- Repeat reminders of messages already circulated
- Personal matters, e.g. items for sale
Text messaging must not be used as the sole means of communicating an essential message or announcement, The text message must be supplemental by some other means of communication (e.g. e-mail, paper notice, social media) to ensure all students receive the information.
Prior to being sent, the message needs to be approved by:
Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management or her/his designee (Admin messages)
Chief of Police or his/her designee (emergency messages)
University officials must assure the text message is:
- the wording is appropriate
- the circulation list is correct
Procedure for non-emergency text:
- All texts must be tagged with “UWP:” then the appropriate identifier (e.g. office that originated text or the purpose of the text – e.g. Last Day to Drop Classes)
- Administrative offices wanting a message sent on behalf of their office must contact the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management one week in advance with text wording, date to be distributed and the message
- Messages should be no longer than 160 characters
- Limit use of abbreviations
All text messaging services or software must be approved by Computer Technology Services (CTS).
Adapted from University of Denver SMS Policy