- jan30Parkside Basketball Doubleheader
In partnership with YLink, Parkside Athletics will host Young Professionals Night...
- jan31Winterim Instruction Ends
View important dates and deadlines for adding classes, dropping classes,...
- feb01Parkside Athletics Teddy Bear Toss
Please join the Rangers for a Teddy Bear Toss on...
Department Learning Goals
Communication Department Learning Goals
The Communication Department curriculum is designed around six learning goals that are intended to help you become a skilled communicator:
Identity—performing excellent written, oral, and nonverbal communication interpersonally and professionally, in order to strengthen their ability to understand self and others.
Diversity—integrating race, class, gender, sexuality and other forms of difference in his/her personal and professional communication
Messages—creating, critiquing, and interpreting messages in oral, written, digital, and visual formats
Roles—adapting and performing his/her oral, written, and/or nonverbal behavior in consideration of multiple contexts.
Knowledge—analyzing beliefs, values, and assumptions in personal and professional life.
Research—asking and answering meaningful questions using multiple methods and rigorous criteria
Sample class projects to achieve the above goals:
- Organize a special event to raise funds for a local nonprofit organization
- Interview hospice patients to capture and preserve their life stories to share as a legacy with family and friends.
- Teach conflict management skills to high school students, homeless shelter clients, and/or professionals.
- Develop a social media presence of an organization
- Produce a short documentary