International Student Taxes

Do international students have to file federal tax returns?
Yes! All international students on F visas are classified as nonresidents for U.S. tax purposes and are required to file a tax return each year you are here if you have any income subject to U.S. income tax. Additionally, if you are an exempt individual (explained under "Residency Status"), you are required to file Form 8843 regardless of your income. Here is a description of the forms you are required to file a tax return ( Form 1040 NR-EZ or Form 1040 NR) and attach the supplemental Form 8843. These forms and instructions can be downloaded from the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) Web site.

What Happens If you Don't File?
You might be wondering what will happen if you do not file a return. Well, the IRS will not impose penalties if no tax is due. However, the terms of your visa require you to comply with all laws of the United States , including the requirement to file an income tax return, you might be required to show proof that you filed if you wish to change your visa status, or obtain permanent residency, or regain entry into the United States once you have left. Don't risk your visa status by failing to comply with this requirement.

When and Where To File
If you received wages (salary) subject to U.S. tax withholding, the due date for filing your tax return is April 15 of the following year. If you did not receive taxable wages during the year, the due date for filing your tax return is June 15 of the following year. Your Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ (including Form 8843) must be sent to the Internal Revenue Service Center , Philadelphia , PA 19255 .

Tax Workshops for International Students At UW-Parkside
To assist international students to complete tax forms,

Two tax workshops will be available for international students during the month of February and March. The goal of the workshops is to help international students to complete the form 8843 and Form 1040 NR-EZ (or Form 1040 NR).

Need More Information About Taxes?

900 Wood Road · P.O. Box 2000 · Kenosha, WI 53141-2000 P 262-595-2345