RANGER RECOVERY: Updated mask / face covering requirements

Working in the USA

Work Opportunities for International Students
with F-1 Student Visas

U.S. law limits employment authorization for non-citizens. Parkside International students, however, are allowed to work legally through the following programs:

On-Campus work

International students can be employed at the University for 20 hours a week while school is in session and during Winterim. During summer breaks, students are eligible to work up to 25 hours per week at the University.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Internship Program

International students are eligible to apply for paid academic internships with US employers. Students must be registered for an internship course and the work position must relate directly to the student's field of study. CPT students are eligible to work 20 hours a week while school is in session and 40 hours a week during break periods. CPT participation is limited during the first two semesters in F-1 visa status.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Work Program

After the first two semesters at the University, international students are eligible to apply for OPT which allows for 12 months of paid employment in their field of study during or after their studies. This program has a $ 380 application fee and takes approximately 3 months to process through the US government. Usually international students save this employment opportunity until after they graduate. 

Optional Practical Training Extension for Students in S.T.E.M. Majors

Students in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) majors may have the opportunity to extend their OPT work period for an additional 24 months for a total authorized work period of 3 years.

Scroll to top
Who Are You?