International Health Insurance

While abroad you will encounter many new experiences and changes from your home.  In order to make sure that your study abroad experience is as enjoyable, healthy and safe as possible, please take precautions before you travel. To learn more about Health and Safety, see the Study Abroad Manual.

Medical Insurance and Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)

U.S. medical insurance is not always valid outside the United States. U.S. Medicare and Medicaid programs do not provide for payment of medical services outside the United States. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services. Uninsured travelers who require medical care overseas may face extreme difficulties.


That is why the University of Wisconsin System has mandated that all University of Wisconsin students studying/traveling abroad under a UW-sponsored program must enroll in health insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Learn more about the CISI insurance coverage on the UW-Madison web site.

For further questions contact: Cultural Insurance Services International at (800) 303-8120 or (203) 399-5132 or by writing to CISI at River Plaza, 1 High Ridge Park, Stamford, CT 06905.

In addition, if you need a full-time enrollment letter in order to maintain your current health insurance coverage, please contact a Study Abroad Advisor in our office for assistance.


Health and Safety Resources


Students Travelling Abroad with Severe Food Allergies

Students with Food Allergies are highly recommended to bring a laminated card listing their allergies in the local language. is a good tool to purchase such a card and is helpful for tips and suggestions for students with food allergies.

900 Wood Road · P.O. Box 2000 · Kenosha, WI 53141-2000 P 262-595-2345