IRS Data Retrieval Tool
4/6/17. IMPORTANT: The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is unavailable until further notice. You will need to enter tax information on your FAFSA manually. If you are
selected for verification, you must submit your tax transcripts to our
office to complete the verification process. Please click on Tax Transcripts for more information on requesting your tax transcripts.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available as part of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The tool allows the applicant to complete the FAFSA without manually entering tax information. You can link to the IRS and pull the student/parent tax information that was submitted on a 1040/1040A/1040EZ. The Retrieval Tool will save you time and ensure that your FAFSA is filled out accurately.
When is the tool available?
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available as of October 1st. You may retrieve your tax information about 2 weeks after filing taxes electronically and within 6-8 weeks of filing taxes on a paper form.
Who can use the tool?
You can use the tool if:
- You have a valid SSN
- You have filed a 2015 Federal Tax return (1040/1040A/1040EZ)
- You have not changed your marital status since December 31, 2016
- You were married but did not file taxes separately
- You, your parent, or spouse, did not file an amended tax return.
If you are ineligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and you are selected for verification, you must submit your tax transcripts to our office to complete the verification process. Please click on Tax Transcripts for more information on requesting your tax transcripts
- Log on to the FAFSA by going to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- On the top menu bar, click on “Financial Information”
- When prompted to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, the applicant/parent will need to enter their FSA ID and password and select “Link to IRS”
- You will then be asked a series of questions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- A prompt will appear indicating that you are leaving the FAFSA website, click “OK”
- You will now be in the IRS website
- Enter ALL information as it appears on your taxes, and once entered, hit “Submit”
- If everything appears accurate, click the box next to “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” and click "Transfer Now"