Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator (50%)
Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator (50%)
Code: 139 Posted: 11/23/2015
Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator (50%), College of Arts and Humanities, University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Position Location: Southeastern, WI
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for a Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator (50%) position. The desired start date is February 10, 2016.
- MA, MFA, or Ph.D. in related field
- Broad working knowledge of contemporary art and experience working in the field as either an exhibiting artist, curator or other arts professional
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well developed interpersonal and networking abilities
- Expertise in gallery organization, planning and promotion
- Successful grant writing and fund-raising experience
- Experience working with students at the college level
- Experience developing art programming for educational purposes
- Experience working collaboratively within an academic environment
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, the Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator will spearhead fine art programming in our galleries that attracts community members to UW Parkside and enriches the cultural experience in our region, and will serve as the primary liaison with regional arts organizations.
The Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator must possess strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills needed to develop and implement regular gallery talks/tours, artist lecture series and annual community events. The Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator is responsible for helping cultivate and maintain a vibrant and respected reputation for UW Parkside programs within the arts and beyond.
The Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator duties will include:
- Planning exhibition cycles and creating schedules for the galleries.
- Cultivating partnerships with community members and organizations within the region.
- Creating and coordinating cross disciplinary events within the College of Arts and Humanities and the University.
- Coordinating artist involvement in gallery activities.
- Creating publicity materials and gallery catalogs.
- Managing the gallery budget.
- Hiring, coordinating, and supervising interns interested in arts management and museum studies, and non-profit businesses.
- Maintaining loan and insurance agreements.
- Maintaining environmental standards for all exhibitions requiring special accommodations.
- Assisting all Art Department Senior Studio students with the arrangement of their capstone exhibitions in collaboration with the 50% Gallery Assistant.
- Assisting with the ACE juried show and the local K-12 teacher's show
This position is responsible for money, University funds, or accounts which hold financial information, and will supervise and oversee the 50% time Gallery Assistant.
The University and Area
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
Review of Applications
Applications received by December 29, 2015, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Step 1: Please select the applicable link below:
https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu: (NOT currently employed by the UW System)
http://my.wisconsin.edu: (Currently employed by the UW System)
Step 2: You must login before you can apply.
Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
Under "Basic Job Search" enter the Keyword "Parkside" and click the Search button. Select “Gallery Director and Exhibit Curator”. Click the "Apply Now" button.
Step 3: Submit application materials.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following document:
- Cover letter indicating the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
Salary and Benefits
This position works 20 hours per week, with an annual salary of $21,084. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
It is the policy of UW Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
A criminal background check and degree verification are part of the application process.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report
Contact Name: Joe Lambin
Contact Phone: (262) 595-2331
Contact Email: email@example.com