Parker Schinkowitch Receives 2023 Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ+ People
MADISON, Wis.—The Universities of Wisconsin have announced the 13 honorees of the 2023 Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ+ People, an annual honor given to LGBTQ+ people or their allies who have helped to create a safer and more inclusive climate for LGBTQ+ people. Parker H. Schinkowitch is UW-Parkside’s Co-Chairperson of the Student Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council and received the award.
The award celebrates the memory and legacy of Dr. Paula B. Poorman, a highly regarded faculty member at UW-Whitewater dedicated to improving the lives of LGBTQ+ people. This year marks the 15th anniversary of the founding of the Dr. P.B. Poorman Award. The recipients of the award will be honored on November 9, 2023, in Madison during a ceremony hosted by the Universities of Wisconsin. The awards ceremony and reception will be held in conjunction with the Universities of Wisconsin presentation of the Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards.
"Honorees are helping build a better experience for our students, faculty, and staff," said Universities of Wisconsin President Jay Rothman. "This award recognizes their achievements in creating a safer and inclusive climate at our universities."
The honorees of the 2023 Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ+ People are:
- Bob Nowlan, Professor, Department of English, UW-Eau Claire
- Bryan Carr, Associate Professor, Communication and Information Science, UW-Green Bay
- Jason Sumontha, Assistant Professor, Psychology, UW-La Crosse
- Ronni Hayon, Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine & Community Health, UW-Madison
- Carl Bogner, Teaching Professor, Peck School of the Arts, UW-Milwaukee
- Eve Hawpetoss, Student, Psychology major, UW Oshkosh
- Parker H. Schinkowitch, Co-Chairperson, Student Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council, UW-Parkside
- Seth D. Reilly, Student, Technology Education and Theatre major (5th year), Member, Alliance for Gender and Sexuality, UW-Platteville
- Linnea R. Milner, 2023 graduate, Psychology major, UW-River Falls
- Sandra L. Neumann, Associate Professor, Psychology, UW-Stevens Point at Marshfield
- Jamie Arenz, Academic Advisor/Testing Coordinator, UW-Stout
- Sean Hayes, Graduate, English major, Communications minor, UW-Superior
- Kristen Prock, MSW Program Coordinator, Assistant Professor of Social Work, Affiliated Faculty in Women’s and Gender Studies, UW-Whitewater
Each UW university was invited to select one individual to receive the award, which highlights each recipient’s contributions to advocacy, activism, or scholarship that enhances the experiences of, and improves the climate for, LGBTQ+ people.
For more information about the award and past recipients, see wisconsin.edu/grants-awards/poorman-award/.