I am a new student, do I need to take a Math and English Placement Test?
All NEW First Year and Transfer students MUST take both Math and English Placement Tests 2 weeks prior to attending Orientation unless you have satisfactory transfer credit. If you do not complete your Placement Tests prior to attending Orientation you will be asked to reschedule your Orientation to a later date. Please note: taking a Foreign Language Placement Test is not required but highly encouraged.
*If you are unsure if your credit is applicable, contact the Admissions Office.
I am a current student - how do I get registered to take the Placement Test?
Placement Tests (Math Placement, English Placement & Foreign Language Placement) are administered only when a student first arrives on campus in anticipation of their first semester of college work. After a student enrolls in and attends a Mathematics, English or Foreign Language course (even if they only attend for a single day) a placement test cannot be administered again in an attempt to place in a different course level (whether it be a higher or lower level course). It doesn't matter whether a student passes, fails, or drops their initial course; once having attended that course, the placement test has served its purpose and it cannot apply again.
A current student is eligible to take the Placement Test only if the student has NOT enrolled in and attended any Math, English or Foreign Language courses.
Students enrolled in a Summer Bridge program (i.e. Math Move-Up or Summer Scholars) are eligible to take the Placement Test after they complete their summer bridge course.
If you are a current student eligible to take a Placement Test, please email
email@example.com to register.
How do I register for a Placement Test?
There are three options when registering for a Placement Test.
Option #1: Regional Placement Testing (Cost: included in your New Student Fee)
- Regional Placement Testing is offered at all UW System schools and some UW Colleges and is open to all UW System applicants.
- To review dates (testing begins in mid-March) and register for Regional Placement Testing,
- Parkside will host five Regional Testing dates: April 22, May 13, May 20, June 3, June 17.
- All Regional Tests begin at 8:00am.
- Registration for Regional Testing Dates (including Parkside Regional Testing dates) will open February 1.
Option #2: Residual Placement Testing at Parkside (Cost: Included in your New Student Fee)
- In addition to the Regional Testing dates held at Parkside, we also offer testing dates for NEW first year or transfer students who have applied or been admitted for Summer or Fall 2017 at Parkside (see dates below)
|March 21 @ 8:00am
|April 25 @ 12:00pm
|May 2 @ 8:00am
|May 23 @ 12:00pm
May 30 @ 8:00am
|June 6 @ 8:00am
June 27 @ 12:00pm
|July 6 @ 8:00am (NOTE: This is a Thursday)
July 11 @ 12:00pm
|August 1 @ 12:00pm
August 8 @ 8:00am
August 21 @ 12:00pm (NOTE: This is a Monday)
Option #3: Computer-Based Testing (Cost: See Below)
- This option is open to all First Year & Transfer students who are attending a University of Wisconsin (UW) system university or college who are unable to attend an in-person testing date due to:
- Living abroad/internationally
- Living somewhere other than Wisconsin, Minnesota or Illinois
- Medical condition(s)
- Deployed/Active Duty in the Military
- Testing centers are located throughout the country and internationally.
- This fee is in addition to the Placement Test Fee. The fee schedule is as follows though it may vary by the number of exams you take and location.
- a one-exam session: $80 (up to 90 minutes)
- a two-exam session: $90 (up to 3 hours)
- a three-exam session: $100 (up to 4 hours)
- outside of the US: $175 per session, (up to 3 exams, 4 hrs)
- To register for a Computer-Based Test,
please click here. NOTE: you must take this test 2 weeks prior to attending Orientation.
What if I need to retake my Placement Test(s)?
- A student may retake each test ONE time prior to enrollment.
- The student must re-take the test(s) during a residual testing date at the institution in which the student will attend. (i.e. If the student is attending Parkside, the student must retake the test during one of the residual testing dates held at Parkside).
- The student may take the test after the 15 day waiting period (the date of the initial test to the date of the retest).
- The student must email
firstname.lastname@example.org to register if they need to re-take the test.
- The student will take an alternate form of the exam.
- The MOST RECENT (not the highest) test score will be used for placement.
- To re-take a test, the fee is $25 per test. The fee will be added to the students' SOLAR account.
What do I do to prepare for my Placement Test(s)?
- Check your Ranger email 2 days prior to your Placement Test. You will receive a confirmation email that includes specific information about location, where to park etc.
- If you require a special accommodation regardless of whether you are taking a Regional or Residual Placement Test,
please click here and follow the procedures.
- Make sure you have a government-issued photo identification document, such as a driver's license, state-issued ID or passport. You will be required to show when you arrive to take your Placement Test.
- Purchase or secure a non-graphing calculator may be used for the math test. Calculators are not required to take the test, though you may want to have one. Cell phone calculators are not permitted.
- Practice! Review these
sample placement test questions!
Placement Testing is service provided by Admissions and New Student Services. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions!
Megan Del Frate
Office of Admissions & New Student Services
Student Center, D105
262-595-2721 or 262-595-2927
Student Center, D105