Policy 78

University of Wisconsin-Parkside
UW System Grant Carryover
Policy #78


UW-System Grant Award letters from the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs which include the following statement: Any award funds not spent or encumbered by June 30, (of the year received) will lapse. However, the Associate Vice President will consider requests for carrying over funds.
The UW-Parkside policy for requesting UW-System Grant funds to be carried over:
1) A formal request to carryover unspent funds must be submitted by the grant recipient to the awarding agency noted on the award letter. This request should include a justification for carrying over the funds and a description of what the funds will be used for. This request can be submitted by either a memo or by e-mail. This request should be made early in the spring semester so that if the request is denied, the grant funds can be spent by June 30 of that year. A copy of this formal request should be sent to the appropriate supervisor at UW-Parkside (determined by the coding of the grant). For faculty/staff, the copy should usually go to the appropriate Dean's office, UW-Parkside.  Copies should also be forwarded to the Provost’s Office and the Controller.
2) If the request is approved by the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, the grant recipient should then send a request for carryover along with the approval from UW-System to the UW-Parkside supervisor as well as the Provost’s Office and Controller so the grant can be properly documented and extended, this request should be submitted no later than May 31 of the year the grant was received.
3) UW-System carryover requests will be given early consideration by UW-Parkside administrators.
4) Carryover for a particular UW-System grant will only be considered for one year after the award was received.


*Revised: Fall 2022

Scroll to top