International Travel Coverage


The UW Board of Regents has mandated that all University of Wisconsin students studying/traveling abroad under a UW sponsored program must enroll in health insurance through an insurance plan offered by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) as stated in UWSA Policy 145.

Inbound short-term international students, scholars also have access to CISI coverage. Eligibility is for those between 15 and 65 years old coming to the UW for 2 months or less from outside the U.S. (i.e., high school visitors, students arriving early before insurance starts in fall or spring, UW sponsored short-term classes/programs for international visitors coming UW, ELS, etc.)

This program is also available to faculty and staff who are involved in educational programs abroad on a voluntary basis or when not on work status. This provides an excellent option for staff that are not sure how their personal insurance will respond abroad, or who don’t want to risk paying for medical care and submitting for reimbursement after their return. CISI will make direct payments to providers. Individuals should contact their primary health insurer with questions regarding how the coverage works while in travel status. In addition, employees injured in the course and scope of their employment may be eligible for benefits under Worker’s Compensation.

Please contact the International Student Services office for enrolling in CISI coverage.


Employees in work status while involved in educational pursuits abroad are automatically enrolled in a special medical evacuation and repatriation program through the EUROP ASSISTANCE program. It is important to note that EUROP ASSISTANCE is NOT health insurance; it provides coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation only. The EUROP ASSISTANCE card is available on the campus shared “j” drive at:

J:\Campus Info\Safety & Risk Management\Risk Management\International_Travel and Europ Coverage\Europ Travel Coverage

EUROP ASSISTANCE is a program provided at no cost to State of Wisconsin (including University)

employees while traveling abroad in the course and scope of their employment. This travel insurance program provides medical emergency assistance for worldwide travel while on university related business. EUROP ASSISTANCE is designed to ensure the availability of competent health care as promptly as possible in situations where health care may not be available or is not up to U.S. standards.

Coverage includes:

  • 24 hour/ 7 day a week, collect call (outside the US) emergency assistance services
  • medical evacuation and repatriation coverage

Employees are covered by workers compensation if injured in the course of employment, regardless of work location. Personal health insurance may cover for other health related incidents, though employees should always check with their own health insurance provider for coverage while they are traveling. Faculty and staff who are traveling abroad for educational pursuits are eligible to purchase CISI health insurance for study abroad, through the International Student Services office.

EUROP ASSISTANCE specifically covers University employees, and staff research assistants (RAs) whose trip expenses and/or foreign stay are authorized by and at the expense of the University. Family members are not covered. Students are covered only when traveling as an employee and when expenses are authorized and paid for by the University. University employees are defined as anyone on University payroll and/or on official leave due to being granted a sabbatical. Unpaid volunteers could be covered, but only if travel is authorized by and at the expense of the University and the volunteer is conducting business or research on behalf of the University.

Coverage begins upon arrival at the site of first touchdown, and is within 72 hours of beginning one's

employment at the jobsite. Coverage is also included for up to 72 hours of personal excursion before, during, and after a business trip. If additional time is needed for personal travel the employee may purchase CISI health insurance through the International Student Services office.


Identity Theft Protection for Business Travelers will help you defend your identity and recover any lost or stolen documents. This protection is provided as part of the Wisconsin Department of Administration’s insurance protection to all travelers and does not require individual enrollment. Identity theft protection for business travelers will help you defend your identity and recover any lost or stolen documents. If you believe you may be a victim of this fraud call 1-866-299-7277 (24/7); the following benefits are available from this service:

  • assigned a dedicated caseworker who will work with you every step of the way, helping you to restore your identity should you become the victim of fraud.
  • receive a Customized Identity Fraud Resolution Kit that provides you with valuable information, including forms you’ll need to alert credit bureaus and authorities.
  • help you place Fraud Alerts at the appropriate credit bureaus, establish Police Reports, and set up Credit Monitoring for you, helping you to mitigate any residual damage to your identity.

The Chubb Identity Theft Protection card is available on the campus shared “j” drive at:

J:\Campus Info\Safety & Risk Management\Risk Management\International_Travel and Europ Coverage\Europ Travel Coverage

Scroll to top