Moon Shot for Equity Trainings
USC Racial Equity Center, as part of the Moonshot for Equity initiative, will provide monthly “live, virtual” professional learning experiences for faculty and staff focused on racial equity. Emphasis will be placed on learning from equity gains and racial missteps that have recently occurred elsewhere; learning how to get ahead of situations and reducing the risk of racial crisis; and learning effective racial equity actualization strategies. Participants, from across the four Milwaukee Area Moonshot Institutions, will be able to:
- Identify practices, cultural norms, and policies that actualize and undermine racial equity.
- Recognize how implicit biases and deficit mindsets about students of color contribute to racial inequities in academic achievement and students’ experiences.
- Develop curricula that include students’ racial histories, identities, and cultural interests.
- Teach in inclusive, culturally-responsive, and culturally-respectful ways.
- Discuss race and racism with higher levels of comfort, confidence, and racial literacy.
- Solve complex racial problems in classrooms and out-of-class contexts.
- Equitably recruit, hire, retain, treat, support, and promote employees across all racial and ethnic groups.
Who should attend?
We can have up to 100 participants for each session. Ideally, we want representatives from the across the campus to participate in the series including members of the Chancellors extended cabinet, governance leaders, student affairs directors and academic department chairs. The classroom focused sessions will be open to all faculty and lecturers.
RACIAL EQUITY eCONVENING SERIES
Leading Productive Conversations About Race
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
1-4 pm CST
Click here for recording
Wednesday, June 16, 2021
11 am-2 pm CST
Wednesday, August 18, 2021
11 am-2 pm CST