3rd Shift Custodian (2 positions)
Code: 15099 Posted: 12/18/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Third Shift Custodian (2 positions).
Under the limited supervision of the Custodial Supervisor, this position is responsible for providing custodial services (general cleaning and maintenance) in offices, classrooms, restrooms, and all similar areas on the University campus.
Duties are to be performed in a professional and safe manner, with an emphasis on customer service. Daily routines, duties, assignments and buildings may vary or may be static, depending on work requirements and staffing needs. Third shift is from 10:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m. This position may occasionally be asked to work hours in excess of the normal shift; schedule adjustments may be made with appropriate notice in order to meet operational hours and department needs. Some activities performed require appropriate personal protective equipment and all activities are performed in accordance with custodial unit standard operating procedures, safety practices and campus policies. Some positions in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees who must report to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to severe weather; the supervisor will communicate whether the particular position is considered essential and under what situation. The goals and work activities listed are intended to describe the essential functions of persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job duties responsibilities and requirements.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings to provide an environment conducive to the educational operation.
- Manually sweep, mop and clean offices, classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, stairs and elevators daily. Dust mop and wet mop floors and halls, stairwells and exterior entrances.
- Refinish hard surface floors seasonally.
- Vacuum and shampoo surfaces and carpets frequently daily.
- Move supplies, furniture file cabinets, tables and other equipment.
- Operate power equipment to vacuum, strip, scrub and shampoo.
- Operate industrial vacuum cleaners and carpet extractors.
- Collect and dispose of waste and recyclable materials from offices, classrooms, labs and hallways and other areas including their placement in proper receptacles or collection sites daily.
- Wash windows, walls, chalk boards, desk tops, tables and stairwells.
- Clean, disinfect and polish stainless steel and replenish restrooms.
- Remove snow and ice from steps, entryways and sidewalks seasonally.
- Report to work as scheduled, be available according to expectation of work schedule and follow proper notification policies when unable to do so.
- Coordinate work schedules to fit into daily activity or assigned area and establish a routine.
- Engage consistently in professional interactions with students, co-workers, supervisor and the public constantly.
- Demonstrate effective work habits, including attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness daily.
- Maintain simple records and make reports on activities as needed.
- Move furniture and equipment as required. Reset classrooms on a daily basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
- Maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets to insure smooth operation and continuous maintenance in one’s assigned area.
- Perform regular cleaning and inspection of custodial equipment used on job.
- Notify supervisor verbally or in writing of equipment issues.
- Maintain orderly stock of supplies for distribution in supply closets within assigned area.
- The ability to recognize problems and perform required routine maintenance in order to take the appropriate corrective action.
- Participate in training on operation of equipment and maintenance methods.
- Assist other crew members, with supervisor’s permission, to expedite major cleaning projects.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Individuals must possess the necessary physical requirements with or without the aid of mechanical devices to safely perform the essential functions of the job.
- Learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely with minimal direct supervision within the six month probationary period.
- Ability to read, sufficient to follow instructions on cleaning chemicals, cleaning equipment and Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ability to accept and follow supervisor’s direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Supervisor and other staff members.
- Ability to perform and complete multiple work assignments daily within assigned shift.
- Ability to tolerate temperature extremes when performing snow/ice removal and waste/recyclables disposal.
- Ability to work in high and/or small, restricted spaces
- Ability to complete a full range of motion in order to operate manual and electric-powered cleaning equipment and machines, including snow shovels.
- Ability to conform to, be alert and productive during, assigned work schedule.
- Ability to grasp and manipulate tools used in performance of all custodial tasks.
- Ability to work effectively in teams for major cleaning projects.
Rare 1-10%; 1-5 min/hour; < 1 hr/day
Occasional 11-33%; 6-20 min/hr; 1-2.5 hr/day
Frequent 34-66%; 21-40 min/hr; 2.5 – 5.5 hr/day
Constant 67-100%; 41-60 min/hr; > 5.5 hr/day
- Work performed: Manually sweep and mop. Physical Demands: Mop buckets are normally 8-gallon size.When filled 2/3 full of water they will weigh approximately 50 lbs. Must be able to daily and frequently lift/carry buckets filled to 2/3 capacity and frequently lift 10-20 lbs. Mopping requires constant movement of arms, twisting and bending of back.
- Work performed: Dust mop and wet mop floors and halls. Physical Demands: Mop buckets are normally 8-gallon size.When filled 2/3 full of water, they will weigh approximately 50 lbs.Must be able to lift/carry buckets filled to 2/3 capacity and frequently lift 10-20 lbs. Mopping requires constant movement of arms, twisting and bending of back.
- Work performed: Strip, scrub and refinish floors seasonally, 5 months of year. Physical Demands: Application of floor finish is similar to mopping demands.Operation of power equipment involves frequent twisting of back and pushing and pulling using arms.Must be capable of frequently carrying 5 gallon bibs of floor finish weighing approximately 45 lbs. Requires knowledge of and ability to follow basic safety precautions.
- Work performed: Collect and dispose of waste and recyclable materials. Physical Demands: Frequent bending, squatting and twisting required to pick up paper and items from floor and from under furniture.Full waste cans (some which may weigh 35 lbs) must occasionally be emptied into carts.Paper pick-up cart weighs approximately 10-55 lbs when filled with paper.Cart must be lifted and emptied into a large rubbish container which is about 3.5” above ground level. Frequent bending and stooping on a daily basis. Requires exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Work performed: Operate industrial vacuum cleaners and carpet extractors, scrubbers, and shampooers frequently daily.Physical Demands: “Backpack” vacuums weighing approximately 15 lbs. are used on stairways. Considerable movement of arms and back to push/pull equipment.
- Work Performed: Move supplies, furniture, file cabinets, tables and other equipment.Physical Demands: Carts or dollies available for moving some desks and equipment.Requires lifting, pushing, bending and twisting.Other supplies, furniture, and items must be moved by hand which required lifting, carrying, bending, and twisting.Some boxes of supplies weigh approximately 50 lbs and can be as large as 27” x 18” x 19”.
- Work Performed: Pick up waste paper and recycling from offices, classrooms, labs and empty into outdoor rubbish containers.Physical Demands: Bending, squatting, stooping, kneeling and twisting required to pick up paper and items from floor and from under furniture.Full waste cans (some which may be heavy) must be emptied into carts.Paper Pick-up cart weighs approximately 50 lbs when filled with paper.Cart must be lifted and emptied into a large rubbish container which is about 48” above ground level. Carts must frequently be pushed or pulled while completing route. Requires exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Work performed: Re-lamp and clean light fixtures. Physical Demands: Occasional climbing and reaching required to re-lamp and clean light fixtures. Occasionally must work from heights for 6 hours of time. Agility required to occasionally climb ladders and work with hands overhead on a frequent basis.
- Work performed: Clean exteriors of windows. Physical Demands: Requires ability to access facilities and areas that may only be accessible by climbing ladders, stairs, or lift bucket
- Work performed: Remove snow and ice from steps, entryways and sidewalks seasonally, 5 months of year. Physical Demands: hand shoveling of snow from steps and entryways.Requires lifting or pushing of loaded shovel weighing approximately 40 lbs.Requiresexposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Work performed: Report to work and complete scheduled shift(s). Physical Demands: Requires strength and stamina to perform required work for scheduled shifts. Requires ability to remain on upright standing, walking or moving throughout assigned areas both indoors and out-of-doors for periods of time up to 7.5 hours in length.
- Work performed: Wash windows, walls, chalk boards, desk tops, tables and stairwells. Physical Demands: Requires frequent and repetitive up and down motion of arms.
- Ability to read and understand written directions independently
- Must be 18 years or age or older
- Prior custodial experience
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license upon appointment
- Basic computer skills (i.e., email and punch clock)
- High school graduation or successful completion of GED
- Experience interacting/working with a diverse, multicultural population
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate of $13.50 depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Total Compensation Estimator:https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
Review of Applications
Applications received by Friday January 4th, 2019 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
UW-Parkside is committed to providing an environment in which our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff can thrive. We aspire to foster a more equitable and inclusive climate and culture between and among students, faculty, and staff, and to improve justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in every aspect of campus life. Please visit The Office of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for additional information.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.