Administrative and Financial Specialist
Code: 14793 Posted: 09/27/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Administrative and Financial Specialist.
The Administrative and Financial Specialist is a detailed oriented person who responsible for highly sensitive information and reports directly to the Continuing Education (CE) Director and is responsible for the direction and management of the following operational areas: overall accounting operations (including general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, asset management, and grant accounting), procurement, and to provide assistance in the oversight of day to day office operations. This position will assist the CE Director by managing projects, overseeing administrative systems, handling new hire and HR related activities, providing assistance with process and protocols, and assisting with various division reports.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Administrative and Financial Management
- Maintain a multi-funded unit budget that includes a mix of revenue, state funds, and grants.
- Work closely with the CE Director and Business Services to develop annual operating budgets that account for all sources of revenue/support to include: general operating funds, UW Extension funds, grants, contracts, program revenue for all functional and administrative units (including affiliated programs).
- Participate in meetings with CE program staff and internal/external partners regarding budget preparations and other financial agreements; UW-Extension (Inter-Institutional Agreement), and other funding agencies/partners.
- Assist CE director in the supervision of daily office operations, and provide back-up approval for employee work hours.
- Provide back-up supervision and time approval in the absence of the director.
- Prepare and present comparative information quarterly and annually. Work with CE director to develop short-term and long-term operating budgetary projections.
- Allocate revenues and expenses among appropriations and/or funds.
- Assist in the supervision of the Adventures in Lifelong Learning (ALL) employee, and maintain financial and operational oversight of ALL.
- Advise program directors/managers on the appropriate pricing strategy and cost/benefit analyses for proposed/new programming, event management and customized contracts.
- Create all financial agreements; prepare MOU’s, contracts, grant applications, and other miscellaneous partner documents (work with System Legal to understand standards).
Policy interpretation and Compliance
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and university financial guidelines, regulations and policies to document financial system operations using automated and/or manual financial systems.
- Work with UWP Business Services, UWP Human Resources and CE Director to develop and implement business policies and procedures that ensure operational efficiency.
- Analyze and interpret financial information and data to help establish internal control mechanisms.
- Provide guidance to CE staff in the processing of CE financial transactions and manage office internal controls.
- Provide assistance in answering phone and email inquiries.
- Act as a liaison for inter-institutional contractual agreements and third party contracts.
- Participate in ongoing budgetary, fiscal and strategic planning of the division.
- Be the liaison and central contact to human resources, managing required forms, paperwork, and information updates.
- Provide administration for the enrollment management system and create reports.
- Maintain and monitor record of payment for instructors and expenses related to instruction (contract database).
- Process travel and miscellaneous expenses and handle reimbursements for staff.
- Assist in researching vendors and participate in negotiation for pricing of contracts, subscriptions, and agreements.
- Perform various other specialized fiscal and operational management functions as needed.
Standards of Performance
- Overall thoroughness, organization, accuracy, and availability of appropriate
- Adequacy, timeliness, and accuracy
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions and soundness of those suggestions.
- Soundness of judgment and operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Integrity in dealing with customers, students, vendors, employees, and management.
- Punctuality, attendance, effective use of time, and willingness to work overtime when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement financial policies and procedures that are effective and efficient.
- Demonstrated experience understanding complex financial information and ability to think critically.
- Strong analytical skills including ability in creative problem solving techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse population of staff in a positive and respectful manner.
- This position has access to sensitive data. A high level of confidentiality is required.
Extensive computer use; mobility and dexterity to reach and bend into filing cabinets; lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or Business, or related field.
- Minimum three years of experience.
- Requires knowledge and experience of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel skills.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word.
- Supervisory or Lead experience.
- Ability to communicate well with all levels of staff, partners, and leadership.
- Customer service experience.
- Ability to negotiate contracts.
- Experience working with an enrollment management system.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "14793"
- Select "Administrative and Financial Specialist"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications
- Names and contact information for three professional references
- Transcript(s) (unofficial accepted with application. Official transcript must be provided upon hire)
Review of Applications
Applications received by Sunday November 4th, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.