Code: 15502 Posted: 05/06/2019
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Assistant Controller.
This position reports to the Controller, and works closely with Purchasing, the Bursar, and Budget Office to aid in the implementation, maintenance and integrity of the campus financial policies and accounting systems. This accountant serves as a working manager, and supervises the work of others in the Business Services department and is responsible for general ledger operations, fiscal records, compliance, audit lead, and financial operations.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises professional fiscal and accounting staff.
- Serves as a working manager.
- Responsible for the general ledger, accounting and fiscal records, AP, the purchasing support function, purchasing card and travel card administration, grant post a-ward activities, and travel management assistance.
- Provides supporting schedules for GAAP reporting, year-end financial reporting, as well as policy interpretation and compliance.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Strong financial, analytical, critical problem solving and thinking skills.
- Exceptional organizational, management and communication skills with high level of attention to detail and ability to coordinate and prioritize work and activities.
- Advanced level of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects, and still meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability in applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS).
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relationships with various individuals’ at all organizational levels.
- Exceptional organizational skills to manage data, workflows, and financial records.
- Knowledge of electronic workflows, including development and implementation processes.
Education, Experience, Training And/or Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or commensurate training and experience.
- Five years of senior accounting management experience.
- Five years of supervisory experience with a demonstrated success in leadership and people management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of innovative and participative management techniques.
- Current experience using an enterprise financial software package such as PeopleSoft Financials.
- Experience in performing Assistant Controller or Controller functions including oversight of general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable and procurement functions.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and emails of three professional references upon hire.
Review of Applications
Applications received by 11:59 p.m. Monday May 20th, 2019 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.