Assistant Professor of Graphic Design
Deadline for applications has been extended. Position is open until filled.
Code: 17789 Posted: 11/17/2021
The Art Department at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor in GRAPHIC DESIGN (Digital Media and Photography) position beginning Fall 2022. Assistant Professor of GRAPHIC DESIGN (Digital Media and Photography) will have the opportunity to build on the collaborations already established with The Root Magazine, and other community relationships in the area, within the College of Arts and Humanities, and the campus as a whole. The candidate will be required to teach up to (4) undergraduate classes per semester in the areas of graphic design, typography, photography, and digital media. The position requires strong communication skills, the ability to collaborate with community business leaders, and the participation in departmental responsibilities, including college and university governance. The ideal candidate will have an interest in growing the graphic design program and participating in professional development opportunities that benefit student recruitment, success and retention. Over the past 10 years, the department has seen the renovation of contemporary fine art studios and galleries, the addition of a digital fabrication lab with state-of-the art equipment, and the development of 3 new graphic design studios for instruction and production (opened fall 2021). The department has a strong tradition in the fine arts, and sees this as an integral part of any graphic design education.
UW-Parkside is a great place to start or enhance your career. The campus is nestled in 700 acres of woodland and prairie and two miles west of Lake Michigan in Kenosha, WI. At Parkside we offer competitive pay and benefits, as well an engaging and supportive work environment. Parkside is a community that’s easy to call home. Find out why.
Position Title: Assistant Professor of Graphic Design (Digital Media and Photography)
Employment Type: Full-time Faculty position
Reports To: The Assistant Professor of Graphic Design will report to Chair of Art and Design
Pay Range: Salary is $55,000 - $58,000 per year
The Department of Art and Design is an engaged department in the College of Arts and Humanities at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. Over the past 10 years, the department has seen the renovation of contemporary fine art studios and galleries, the addition of a digital fabrication lab with state-of-the art equipment, and the development of 3 new graphic design studios for instruction and production (opened fall 2021). The department has a strong tradition in the fine arts, and all faculty in the department are active artists and design professionals.
Essential Job Functions
Key Job Responsibilities
- Teach (4) classes in graphic design/digital media/photography per semester
- Participate in departmental responsibilities and college/university governance
- Collaboration with existing campus partnerships like The Root Magazine and Digital Media and Production program
- Assist in departmental recruitment and retention activities
- Active professional practice or research in the field of contemporary graphic design/digital media
- Teach 100 level digital design courses as needed
- MA, MFA, MDes, or PhD in Graphic Design or related media
- Professional graphic design experience
- Evidence of teaching experience
- Active professional practice and research in the field of contemporary graphic design or related field
- Evidence of proficiency in professional Graphic Design (industry standard practices and tools) Portfolio to include 10-15 samples
- Evidence of proficiency and professional practice in digital media in one or more of the following areas: film/video, digital fabrication, animation, motion graphics, app development, game design, digital modeling/illustration, and/or commercial photography, Portfolio to include 5-10 samples
- Samples of student work in Graphic Design and at least one secondary area of digital media, Portfolio to include 15-20 examples
- Demonstrated ability or interest in teaching to a culturally diverse undergraduate student body
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
- Teaching Philosophy
- Teaching Evaluations
- 10-15 Examples of Graphic Design Work
- 5-10 examples of in digital media in one or more of the following areas: film/video, digital fabrication, animation, motion graphics, app development, game design, digital modeling/illustration, and/or commercial photography
- 15-20 Examples of Student Work
Review of Applications
All applications submitted by 02/21/2022 will be given full consideration.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Available Until: 03/07/2022