Assistant Professor in Mathematics
Code: 14769 Posted: 09/25/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor in Mathematics.
The Department of Mathematics and Physics at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside seeks qualified applicants for the position of Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Mathematics, scheduled to begin in the 2019-2020 academic year. The successful applicant will teach courses throughout the undergraduate curriculum – from developmental through advanced courses for the mathematics major – but with a particular emphasis on developmental and first-credit-bearing courses below the level of calculus and in non-algebraic pathways like quantitative reasoning and elementary statistics.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
Primary responsibilities include: teaching, scholarly research, advising students majoring or minoring in mathematics, and participating in departmental/campus/community/professional service.
The successful applicant will teach a full instructional load, which is currently 24 hours per academic year, with courses selected from developmental through advanced courses for the mathematics major based on the instructional needs of the department. The successful applicant is also expected to establish and maintain an active research program ideally involving undergraduate students.
Standards of Performance
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions and soundness of those suggestions.
- Soundness of judgment and operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to teach undergraduate mathematics courses at all levels.
- Project management skills.
- Is not responsible for Money, University Funds of Accounts which hold financial information.
- Ergonomic Requirements: Working at computer stations for extended periods of time.
- Ph.D. in mathematics.
- Strong commitment to teaching.
- One year of independent experience teaching undergraduate mathematics courses ranging from developmental through advanced courses for the mathematics major. (Discussion sections, grading duties, recitation sections, etc. do not qualify as independent experience teaching undergraduate mathematics).
- Experience interacting with a diverse and multicultural population.
- Excellent English language skills.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Three years of independent experience teaching undergraduate mathematics courses ranging from developmental arithmetic through advanced courses for the mathematics major. (Discussion sections, grading duties, recitation sections, etc. do not qualify as independent experience teaching undergraduate mathematics).
- Experience teaching remedial and first-credit-bearing courses below the level of calculus, including non-algebraic pathways like quantitative reasoning and elementary statistics.
- Experience working collaboratively with colleagues in teaching multi-section courses.
- A record of teaching excellence as demonstrated by superior teaching evaluations, receipt of teaching awards, etc.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "14769"
- Select "Assistant Professor in Mathematics"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications
- Names and contact information for three professional references
- Transcript(s) (Unofficial accepted with application. Official transcript must be provided upon hire)
Review of Applications
Applications received by Wednesday October 31st, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.