Business Systems Support Specialist
Code: 15406 Posted: 03/28/2019
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Business Systems Support Specialist.
This position serves as part of the Cashier's Office and Business Services management team in determining, prioritizing, designing and implementing processes and software plans to meet identified needs of the departments. This position is the primary contact for technology used to support and enhance business functions related to billing, accounts receivable, cash management, and general ledger. The person in this position functions as a business systems liaison and consults with all functional user departments, Computer Technology Services (CTS), UW System Admin and third party software vendors. In addition, the position supports student account records, and assists in data gathering for financial analysis and reporting purposes for both management teams. The position also provides support in implementing, and administering University policies as well as state and federal regulations as they relate to the Cashier's Office and Controller Office functions. This position reports to the Controller.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
System Maintenance, Training and Support
- Maintain the PeopleSoft Campus Solution-Student Financial system
- Work with the Cashier’s Office and Business Services management teams to define, integrate and validate data streams from internal and external sources and translate those needs into functionality from a technical perspective, for use in financial reporting and analysis
- Maintain written instructions on policies, procedures, processes and security for the PeopleSoft-Student Financials Module and the Shared Financial System
- Develop training materials for PeopleSoft Campus solutions-Student Financials and Shared Financial Systems in order to educate users on features and ensure policy and procedures are understood and adhered to
- Assist in the software upgrade process. Work with the upgrade technical support to understand customizations implemented and the impact to the functional business process as well as on the PeopleSoft Delivered Objects
- Develop test plans to support infrastructure, software upgrades and releases: create and maintain test data. Work with Cashier's, Business Services and CTS staff to execute test plans to support infrastructure, software upgrades and releases
- Develop and run queries as needed or requested using People Tools, Oracle OBIEE, SQL, nVision, Brio and other web-based reporting tools
Project Management, System Analysis, System Design, Implementation
- Perform detailed analysis and design for specialized, business related, complex automated systems; develop specifications, test conditions and monitor/troubleshoot the developed systems. Create queries, update parameters and other database codes.
- Identify and develop new data interfaces as a result of the changing data requirements and new financial applications; supports implementation of operational improvements; supports student financials the general ledger data interface; and supports Shared Financial System financial applications
- Assist in the migration to new software versions of the ERP system and other software used.
- Executes reviews and maintains database validations of key financial and operational internal controls to ensure data integrity. This may involve scheduled (daily or monthly) review and evaluation of validation results
- Develop, manage and monitor progress of project plans, which affects all phases of the systems development life cycle. Work with technical CTS department/staff to resolve technical issues
- Develop strategies for statistical analysis of multiple databases.
- Study existing business rules and workflow and identify areas where changes in business process and/or IT systems could improve efficiency and economy. Make recommendations for proposed changes.
- Assist in planning, implementation, and support of e-commerce within campus business functions.
- Identify the specifications and integration of PeopleSoft as it relates to other modules such as the Human Resource System (HRS), SFS and the general ledger.
Develop and maintain complex reports
- Create reports and queries in PeopleSoft Student Financials and Business Intelligence to meet the needs of the Cashier’s and Business Services’ Office operations.
- Develop and direct system/project definition and specifications ensuring compliance with all university, UW-System, State Wisconsin, Federal Policies/regulations, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Assist in troubleshooting any general ledger data discrepancies.
- Assist with preparing accurate and timely monthly financial schedules and other management reports when requested. Coordinate report runs with CTS staff to minimize system disruption.
- Work closely with the Cashier's Office and Business Services to determine reports needed by UW-System and campus departments.
- Test, review, modify, document and implement complex reports and queries.
- Consider and recommend options for making PeopleSoft Financials data available and accessible to areas outside the Cashier's and Business Services Offices that have need for student financial data.
Other duties as assigned
- Attend appropriate seminars and classes to maintain and advance current level of information technology, communication and client service skills.
- Comply with recognized environmental health and safety practices.
- Performs special projects as required and other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Strong financial, analytical, IT and critical/problem solving/thinking skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability in applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS).
- Current experience in using an enterprise financial software packages (e.g., PeopleSoft or other enterprise software)
- Ability to learn UW System policies on tuition
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time
- Responsibility for accounts which hold financial information
- Knowledge of application interface specifications of other PeopleSoft modules such as records/registration, admissions, HRS, SFS, general ledger, curriculum, and degree audit and participate as part of the implementation team
Education, Experience, Training And/or Certifications
- Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or closely related field or equivalent business/technical experience
- Two years’ experience with a PeopleSoft module or Other related ERP/CRM ( Enterprise Resource Planning / Customer Relationship Management )system
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with data collection tools
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "15406"
- Select "Business Systems Support Specialist"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications
- Names and contact information for three professional references upon hire
Review of Applications
Applications received by Friday April 26th, 2019 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.