Conference and Event Associate
Deadline for Applications is 03/26/2020
Code: 116380 Posted: 03/12/2020
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Conference and Event Associate.
The University of Wisconsin Parkside invites applications for a Conference & Event Associate to join the Parkside Student Center team. This Conference & Event Associate serves as the primary contact for both on-campus and community clients when setting up a meeting, conference or event in the Student Center and other main-campus venues. This position: a) communicates and disseminates event details to all members of the Event & Conference Services team; b) coordinates details for space reservations and audio-visual requirements in the event management system software; c) supervises student employees who also process event and meeting details; and, d) coordinates unit marketing strategies.
This position is a university staff, full time, non-exempt, non-represented position. A six month probation period may be required. The hours of work for this position are Monday through Friday, 7:45am- 4:30pm; however, there may periodic pre-approved evening or weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A. Conference, Event & Meeting Reservations Coordination
- Serve as the primary contact for Conference & Event Services space reservation requests and provide backup catering order assistance.
- Input event requests in the event management software system.
- Coordinate and disseminate event details such as audio-visual requests, setup/teardown, timeline and staff needs to the Event &Conference Services team.
- Respond to phone, email and electronic media inquiries for space reservations.
- Process event, wedding and summer camp contracts.
- Meet and follow up with client on event and meeting details; coordinate updates and changes with Conference & Event team.
- Process client invoices and journal entries.
- Attend Conference & Event team and client meetings to provide overall coordination of event and catering services.
B. Marketing Coordination
- Coordinate website and electronic media updates for services and programs.
- Manage The Knot and Wedding Wire accounts for prospective clients.
- Collaborate on Conference & Event marketing plans.
- Participate in wedding shows and catering open houses.
C. Office Management
- Provide on-going training and supervise one to three administrative office student staff.
- Coordinate hiring, marketing and training processes for approximately forty-five Student Center student employees.
- Prepare unit deposits.
- Serve as a designated Campus Security Authority (CSA) for Clery Compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Standards of Performance
- Overall thoroughness and attention to details, able to organize a variety of tasks and determine priority, accurate data entry of event details, and ability to adapt to constant changes and updates.
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions and soundness of those suggestions.
- Soundness of judgment and operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to both the client and University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Integrity in dealing with customers, students, vendors, employees, and management.
- Punctuality, attendance, effective use of time, and willingness to work overtime when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Good problem resolution and customer services skills.
- Ability to organize and balance several on-going projects.
- Establish priorities and work under deadlines in a diverse office setting.
- Detailed oriented, able to determine priorities and being flexible to meet ever-changing needs.
- High level of computer software knowledge of Word and Excel, along with the ability to learn new software and electronic processes.
- Ergonomic requirements: extensive computer use.
- Ability to lift and move tables and chairs: up to 50 lbs.
Education, Experience, Training and/or Certifications
- An Associate’s Degree or at least two years of education in event services, hospitality management or related field
- At least two years of related event services or hospitality experience
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Names and emails of three professional references
Review of Applications
Applications received by 11:59 p.m. Thursday March 26th, 2020 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Available Until: 03/27/2020