Financial Specialist II
Deadline for Applications is 11/07/2021
Code: 17659 Posted: 10/15/2021
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a dynamic learning community grounded in academic excellence and focused on student success, diversity, inclusion and community engagement. One of 13 four-year institutions within the University of Wisconsin System, Parkside provides an educational value to our students that’s unparalleled. An affordable, high-quality education is an investment in ones future, and we believe the cost of an education should not prevent any student from achieving his or her educational and professional goals.
UW-Parkside is a great place to start or enhance your career. The campus is nestled in 700 acres of woodland and prairie and two miles west of Lake Michigan in Kenosha, WI. At Parkside we offer competitive pay and benefits, as well an engaging and supportive work environment. Parkside is a community that’s easy to call home. Find out why.
Position Title: Financial Specialist II
Employment Type: Full time, University Staff, Non-Exempt
Reports To: The Financial Specialist II will report to Controller and Assistant Controller
Pay Range: 33,700-62,700
Essential Job Functions
UW-Parkside is seeking a collaborative and highly skilled Financial Specialist II in the office of Business Services. As a Business Services team member, this position primarily reviews, approves, advises and completes a variety of advanced financial transactions. The Financial Specialist II supports the accounts payable and travel functions, and centralized managed programs, requiring a high level of knowledge and expertise, and works daily with a variety of funding sources. A wide range of job duties includes preparing financial transactions and reconciling transactions; recommending controls and process improvements; troubleshooting advanced financial errors; maintaining financial records, and providing customer service to staff and customers in an assigned program area to support financial management. This position also provides administrative support to the Controller, as well as other general office support for the unit.
Key Job Responsibilities
- This position requires the ability to work independently, as part of a team and to exercise sound judgment and discretion, in applying and interpreting UW financial policies and procedures.
- Audits, monitors, organizes, and updates fiscal records, reports, and affiliated materials
- Creates general reporting for financial transactions
- Audits or processes advanced transactions and assigns funding codes in accordance with established rules, regulations, and policies
- Audits or reconciles original purchase documents with payments
- Reallocates expenses to appropriate funding strings
- Drafts communications and advanced reports and maintains organization of varied records to provide administrative support within a specified work unit
- Answers advanced fiscal questions and provides information based on set materials and standards to various audiences
- Reviews transaction processing internal controls and recommends policies and procedures
- Administratively supports Controller
- Associate’s degree in Business or related field
- 2 years of experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate in a clear, business-like, and courteous manner with a diverse internal and external customer base.
- Excellent organizational skills and techniques. Ability to work independently, prioritize work duties, and demonstrate effective time management skills to meet Accounts Payable, Business Services Division, University, state, and/or federal deadlines.
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree or equivalent.
- 3 years of experience in the accounting field.
- Knowledge of accounts payable procedures, and basic accounting principles.
- Ability to multi-task and transition quickly between priorities to address specific situations.
- Ability to participate as an effective team member by contributing to the efficient operation of the work unit and providing constructive feedback for the purpose of continuous improvement in a manner that is supportive of Accounts Payable and the Business Services Division.
- Strong human relations and interpersonal skills to maintain effective, professional, and cooperative working relationships with managers, supervisors, coworkers, and all internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proficiency in Excel and ability to create spreadsheets and reports.
- Knowledge of Peoplesoft or other accounting software.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
Review of Applications
Applications received by 11:59 p.m. Sunday November 7th, 2021 are ensured full consideration. Position open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
UW-Parkside is committed to providing an environment in which our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff can thrive. We aspire to foster a more equitable and inclusive climate and culture between and among students, faculty, and staff, and to improve justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in every aspect of campus life. Please visit The Office of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for additional information.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Available Until: 11/08/2021